CORNWALL REGIONAL TASK FORCE SEIZES CONTRABAND TOBACCO AND ARRESTS 14 INDIVIDUALS
Cornwall ON – The Cornwall Regional Task Force (CRTF) made or assisted in contraband tobacco seizures in the following regions between May 6th, 2010 and May 17th, 2010:
- 4 seizures at the Cornwall, Ontario Port of Entry
- 3 seizures in Cornwall, Ontario
- 4 seizures in South Glengarry, Ontario
These seizures resulted in the arrest of fourteen individuals:
- 4 from Cornwall, Ontario,
5 from Akwesasne, Ontario,
1 from Ingleside, Ontario,
1 from Surrey, British Columbia
1 from Hogansburg, New York
All are facing charges for possession of a tobacco product not properly stamped according to the Excise Act 2001 and/or under authority of the Provincial Tobacco Tax Act.
35 year old Igor Sokiryanski from Thornhill, Ontario and 20 year old Lauren Phillips from Hogansburg, New York are both charged with possession of a tobacco product not properly stamped according to the Excise Act 200. They also face charges under authority of the Provincial Tobacco Tax Act.
One of the individuals arrested also faces charges for failing to stop for police and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle. Public and police safety continues to be our priority.
• 9 vehicles described as 1997 Oldsmobile Aurora, U-Haul Cube van, 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix, 2005 GMC Savana van, 2001 Ford F250 pick-up truck, 2004 Ford van, 2001 Dodge Caravan, 1995 Ford F150 pick-up truck, 2001 Chevrolet pick-up truck, and a 2001 Ford F250 pick-up truck
• 15,797 assorted re-sealable bags and cartons each containing 200 contraband cigarettes
• 1,960 kilograms of fine cut tobacco that were contained in a total of 81 garbage bags
The CRTF has assisted officers from the Canada Border Services Agency. There continues to be seizures made on public and private properties along the shores of the St. Lawrence River day and night.
Some photos from the seizures are available upon email request at email@example.com .
please visit our sponsors: