Cornwall ON – We at the Cornwall Free News are committed to strong government whether it be municipal, provincial or federal.
As part of our service to you we will be profiling as many of the candidates that time allows.
These profiles will include information from the candidates, and from our files.
Our first profile will be on Cornwall City Councilor Denis Thibault who’s tossed his hat into the ring for re-election.
I asked Mr. Thibault why he wishes to run again and serve Cornwall. Here was his reply.
Why Interest in a Second Term as a City Councilor?
The last three plus years have been a major learning experience and at the same time we as a council have accomplished much and also begun many projects and initiatives that need ongoing strong & effective leadership.
I would hope that the Community feels that I have represented them well and pursued goals and objectives that are helping to enhance our Community as a whole.
- Responsible and Effective Leadership
- Leadership to strengthen the economy – quality jobs
- Focus on smart growth – better quality jobs
- Safeguarding our commitment to the environment
- Enhanced support for an already vibrant cultural scene
- Protection for our seniors and the vulnerable
- A clear focus on fiscal responsibility
I am looking for a second term because I want to continue to offer all of the above and more.
Councilor Thibault also sent us his press release from when he made his announcement to run in August.
Denis Thibault Wants to Serve a Second Term on City Council
Cornwall, August 2010 – Denis Thibault, a long time resident and very active community minded person has announced he’s running again. He hopes that the voters of Cornwall will support him for councilor again in the upcoming municipal elections this fall.
“Today, I have submitted my papers to stand for re-election as Councilor for the City of Cornwall.
If elected, I will continue to address community concerns and bring new ideas to the Council table. I will continue to focus on:
- Bringing more good paying jobs to Cornwall
- Being your voice to work smarter and reduce taxes where possible
- Getting our waterfront back from the Federal government
- Finding ways to address the Long Term Care Crisis in our community
- Making sure that we continue to receive quality policing, firefighting and EMS services
- Upgrades to park facilities such as a splash pads
- Making Joe St Denis Park facility a new home for the football program.”
We must continue to FOCUS ON THE FUTURE!!Thibault was first elected to Cornwall City Council in 2006. In his capacity as Councilor, he sat on many Boards, most notably the Police Services Board as Chair, Economic Development Committee as Chair, Public Advisory Committee as Vice Chair and Budget Committee.He also serves as member of the Waterfront Purchasing Committee, one of the issues moving forward as a result of his leadership in attempting to make Cornwall more prosperous and open to innovative development.
Thibault has also been a leader in the pursuit of improving cultural sector support in our Community and was able to get funding from various sources to develop a Community Culture Plan for Cornwall-SD&G.
His interests and hobbies include golf and curling as well as Community service. He also works full time as Executive Director of the Eastern Ontario Training BoardMr. Thibault is supported by wife Elaine (Ruest) and three daughters, Lindsay, Joanne (Claude) and Michele (Michel).
I’m sure we’ll be hearing more from Councilor Thibault as he enters the debates and hope that he fares well on our own debates on Seawayradio.com which start today, Tuesday September 21 at 10:15 AM.
THE LAST NAME ON YOUR BALLOT