Star Tek in Cornwall Ontario Still Shut Down – UPDATED June 21, 2011

Star Tek in Cornwall Ontario Still Shut Down – UPDATED June 21, 2011

Cornwall ON – Star Tek in Cornwall Ontario is still shut down after an evacuation Monday June 21st.   While there has been speculation that it was Carbon Monoxide poisoning that sent nearly 30 staff to nearby hospital there has been no confirmation as to what caused the illness which included nausea and vomiting.

From Wikipedia:

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs after enough inhalation of carbon monoxide (CO). Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas, but, being colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating, it is very difficult for people to detect. Carbon monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion of organic matter due to insufficient oxygen supply to enable complete oxidation to carbon dioxide (CO2). It is often produced in domestic or industrial settings by older motor vehicles and other gasoline-powered tools, heaters, and cooking equipment. Exposures at 100 ppm or greater can be dangerous to human health.[1]

Symptoms of mild acute poisoning include lightheadedness, confusion, headachesvertigo, and flu-like effects; larger exposures can lead to significant toxicity of the central nervous system and heart, and even death. Following acute poisoning, long-term sequelae often occur. Carbon monoxide can also have severe effects on the fetus of a pregnant woman. Chronic exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide can lead to depressionconfusion, and memory loss. Carbon monoxide mainly causes adverse effects in humans by combining with hemoglobin to form carboxyhemoglobin (HbCO) in the blood. This prevents oxygen binding to hemoglobin, reducing the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood, leading to hypoxia. Additionally, myoglobin and mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase are thought to be adversely affected. Carboxyhemoglobin can revert to hemoglobin, but the recovery takes time because the HbCO complex is fairly stable.

Treatment of poisoning largely consists of administering 100% oxygen or providing hyperbaric oxygen therapy, although the optimum treatment remains controversial.[2] Oxygen works as an antidote as it increases the removal of carbon monoxide from hemoglobin, in turn providing the body with normal levels of oxygen. The prevention of poisoning is a significant public health issue. Domestic carbon monoxide poisoning can be prevented by early detection with the use of household carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide poisoning is the most common type of fatal poisoning in many countries.[3] Historically, it was also commonly used as a method to commit suicide, usually by deliberately inhaling the exhaust fumes of a running car engine. Modern cars with electronically controlled combustion and catalytic converters produce so little carbon monoxide that this is much less viable. Carbon monoxide poisoning has also been implicated as the cause of apparent haunted houses. Symptoms such as delirium and hallucinations have led people suffering poisoning to think they have seen ghosts or to believe their house is haunted.[4]

There was a job fair to be held Monday for staff that have been given notice and are to lose their jobs as of July 31st.     Some staff from the Canadian client at the facility suggested to us as of print time that if the delay in reopening took much longer they would most likely be bussed to nearby Star Tek facilities in Kingston Ontario.   No confirmation of such a plan was communicated to us by the company.   Staff have communicated to us that they are being paid for Monday, but are concerned about what happens to them if there’s a lengthy delay due to the evacuation?

The Eastern Ontario Health Unit has closed the building until it’s been given an all clear.  Testing continues as the source of the illness is being tracked down.

If you have any information, pictures or video you wish to share you can email us at info@cornwallfreenews.com

Wine Kitz

 

Leave a Reply

4 Comments on "Star Tek in Cornwall Ontario Still Shut Down – UPDATED June 21, 2011"

avatar
400
  Subscribe  
Notify of
Bill
Guest

As they just cut about 400 jobs here in Kingston I don’t think may people will be bussed here to work either. The jobs got in Canada when our dollar was 80 cents US..now it is par. I expect Star Tek to move all operations out of Canada in the near future.

dave
Guest

Faulty air conditioning? leaking freon?

smee
Member

Mold?

Stan
Member

Legionnaires Disease comes to mind….