800px-BandofficeAttawapiskatCFN – I remember my first year with CFN.   I asked all the leaders of Federal parties for an interview.   Elizabeth May kindly granted me some time.  The late Jack Layton called me at home personally for an awesome interview.   Michael Ignatieff’s people couldn’t be bothered to return two requests, but Stephen Harper’s media guy, speaking for our Prime Minister at the time called me back promptly and told me to go **** myself 🙂

Ok, I’m paraphrasing, but not by much.

CFN

Look, I’d be happy with ten, no five minutes.

Mr. McDougall

I don’t give the Globe and Mail 5 minutes.  Why the **** should I give you five minutes?

I laughed.  I couldn’t argue with that. Heck I couldn’t say much.  They did call back promptly and were quite clear.     Could our PM have looked awesome giving me five minutes of his life, sure, but it was his choice.   Fair Dinkum.

Chief Theresa Spence of Attawapiskat is now hunkered down in Ottawa with over 20 days of hunger strike behind her.  Her story and tale have become the hottest story in the media right across Canada as protests and actions are taking place as well.

Chief Spence seems to be attempting to bring attention to conditions on her reserve and respecting of treaty rights.

Living on the border here in Cornwall with the community of Akwsasne and being one of the only media people allowed in the tent during the bridge crisis was highly educational in many ways.

Lord knows Native & Aboriginal issues are complicated with no simple solutions available.   While covering the bridge crisis here there were at least three groups with strong voices in that community.  Mix in hundreds of voices across this great country of Canada and it can get even more confusing especially when arguing over which treaty trumps which treaty?

There are land claims right across Canada.   The land that I’m typing from is under land claim.    Yet none of these ever get settled if what I was told is correct land claims can only result in cash payments.   They never result in returned land.

So this all comes down to money; as usual, and of course no surprise.

Stephen-harper-nude

Now anyone that’s read CFN over the four years of our existence knows that I’m not a huge fan of our PM, but in this case, as weird as it feels, I have to agree with Mr. Harper and the Leader of the Opposition, Mr. Mulcair in that they are not obligated to visit the Chief.  It’s not even proper.  While it’s a gut wrench emotional reaction to a hunger strike that I even I feel empathy towards these are the leaders of our great Country.

Mr. Harper has offered his Native Affairs minister, and while the Chief may be miffed I’m sure the results of meeting the Minister would be the same as meeting the PM.

The fact that Mr. Mulcair has chosen to this point to not visit Chief Spence surely shows volumes about the role of a PM.

456px-William_Shatner_Star_TrekAfter all this isn’t Star Trek where Captain Kirk would greet every alien personally; especially if she was a hot alien.

Chief Spence isn’t Stephen Harper’s kind of hot alien.   He’s going to duck and stay warm.  He’s going to drink a beer or two and probably get ready to watch NHL hockey again which probably will blow away Chief Spence’s story when they announce the end to the lock out Friday.

The world keeps on spinning.   Stories come; stories go.  Injustice is always there.

You can post your comments below.

(Comments and opinions of Editorials, Letters to the Editor, and comments from readers are purely their own and don’t necessarily reflect those of the owners of this site, their staff, or sponsors.)

Are you ready to Start getting a better deal on the Internet?  Click the banner below!

Start Communications

Related Post

18 Comments on "Stephen Harper & Thomas Mulcair Duck Attawapiskat Chief Spence – It’s All About Money – by Jamie Gilcig"

Notify of
400

Diane Marshall
Diane Marshall
3 years 6 months ago

But Chief Spence is not an alien, her people were here before us.
They joined us in the ware of 1812 and when they were not needed cast aside. Sad!

Darcy Neal
Darcy Neal
3 years 6 months ago

Chief Spence is exploiting her extortion option (hunger strike) to coerced Mr. Harper to behave according to her desires. Her community is coercing the public by victimizing the public’s mobility options. They (first nations) lost their lands and way of life. They are fighting our system while their system fails to benefit them. Both systems are collapsing. So be it.

Garfield
Garfield
3 years 6 months ago
Spence claims to be on a hunger strike but is consuming broth several times a day, plus several cups of tea and water. Not exactly a hunger strike, more of a diet! It was revealed she demands the meeting with Harper be a minimum one week meeting. That in my opinion is ridiculous if not delusional. She has already refused meeting with Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan which could have been a stepping stone to meeting with Harper or at very least creating a exit from what is becoming brinkmanship in which both sides refuse to blink. Harper should not… Read more »
bella-b
bella-b
3 years 6 months ago

Go big or stay home, Garfield. Should she ask only a minute of Harpers time?

And leaders speak to leaders when they want something. Those who waste their time with minions who have no power, well another 200 years of oppression?

Yes, definitely, Ms Spence should take the advice of citizens who have no clue. That is the best way to serve her people……pshaw!

Garfield
Garfield
3 years 6 months ago
Go big or go home… if that’s the only two options(which it is not) she should mount a real and sincere hunger strike or indeed go home. As Chief in her dilapidated community she, unlike other residents, is with perks and decent home. In receiving $90 million from federal gov’t over five years, in addition to payments from provincial gov’t, mining companies and casino monies there requires to be accountability for her people who are living in squalor and substandard housing. Instead Spence staunchly refuses to be acceptive of accountability. I doubt she would be willing to give one of… Read more »
PJ Robertson
PJ Robertson
3 years 6 months ago
“Stories come; stories go. Injustice is always there.” Ah yes, Jamie, but is Chief Spence’s story just passing media buzz, or a sign of something much bigger? “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter” (Martin Luther King jr.) In similar vein from an earlier age, “The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.” (Edmund Burke) Timeless words of wisdom that Chief Spence is acting on? More to the point, there is a price for doing nothing. Think Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Syria. Think Delhi, India. Think… Read more »
PJ Robertson
PJ Robertson
3 years 6 months ago

Make that Nobel laureate.

bella-b
bella-b
3 years 6 months ago
Omg Garfield, are you saying Ms. Spence has recieved personally “$90 million from federal gov’t over five years, in addition to payments from provincial gov’t, mining companies and casino monies”? Because if you are, I call BS. Or are you saying the reserve recieved the monies which was divied up just as they are required to do by order of the government? Because you know there are rules about how their money is spent, and where they can use it? Are you saying she is an irresponsible care taker of her people? Prove it with more than just your own… Read more »
weeder
weeder
3 years 6 months ago
Xerxes: There will be no glory in your sacrifice. I will erase even the memory of Sparta from the histories! Every piece of Greek parchment shall be burned. Every Greek historian, and every scribe shall have their eyes pulled out, and their tongues cut from their mouths. Why, uttering the very name of Sparta, or Leonidas, will be punishable by death! The world will never know you existed at all! King Leonidas: The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and before this battle was over, even a god-king can bleed.
History Repeats
History Repeats
3 years 6 months ago

The British (Margaret Thatcher) allowed Bobby Sands to starve himself to death instead of meeting with him. Ten or twelve others also died of starvation. How many remember this? The govt. knows that people will forget, so the PM will not meet Chief Spence.

Google Bobby Sands.

Garfield
Garfield
3 years 6 months ago
Bella I suspect you are with intellect and capability to very well realize I’m not conveying Spence personally received over $100 million dollars in a five year period. Thus your placing words in my mouth aside, I obviously do not require to highlight for you Spence’s position as Chief created so she is with direct awareness and active input as to how and where community monies are spent. There are a number of interesting and questionable financial tidbits. Attawapiskat is with 1500 people living in 300 homes… a small population with 3 chiefs and 18 councillors on the payroll —… Read more »
stellabystarlight
stellabystarlight
3 years 6 months ago

Garfield……well said and true. After reading an article in a daily, it certainly changed the perspective of things. The poor certainly did not benefit from the gov funds. Shame on them!!

bella-b
bella-b
3 years 6 months ago

oh please! quote Ezra Levant at me. There’s a hater if ever met one. thanks Garfield, now I get you.

bobgeneric
bobgeneric
3 years 6 months ago
@Garfield, Despite affirmation from Stella that what you say is “true”, you both could benefit from a little self research instead of repeating sudo-facts spewed by Ezra Lavant or”some daily”. Here let me get you started on the road of knowledge , all of which you both could have easily found for yourselves, had you truly wanted too.   First off Attawapiskat reserve’s financial statements are all published on line for all to see. Had you bothered you would know that the “stock portfolio” you refer to is a managed trust approved by the federal government. The trust is not… Read more »
PJ Robertson
PJ Robertson

@ Garfield – January 3, 2013

“Obstinance”

Interesting coinage. A condition of obstinate abstinence?

Fits Chief Spence in part: her continued abstinence (aka hunger strike).

Fits Harper to a T: obstinate to a fault, and, when the heat gets too much for him, abstains by proroguing.

Ed
Ed
3 years 6 months ago

@ PJ. That Harper fella is a cunning fox (slippery snake) who goes to sleep every night with a big sh!t-eating grin on his gob. I bet he never dreamed that he would wield such power. I am really glad that he stopped saying “God Bless Canada” and stuff like that. And, hey, we could have had Stockwell Day as PM instead of Steve. That would have been seriously scary.

PJ Robertson
PJ Robertson
3 years 6 months ago

Ah yes, Ed, but First Nations Peoples have been here forever and know all about forked tongues. So maybe, just maybe they have Harper’s number. We can only hope.

wpDiscuz