CFN -Can any of you figure out this gobbeldygook? I can’t either. It looks like the mayor and council are trying to sneak some procedural and by law stuff through the minutes for actions taken in camera.
I could be wrong? It sure is boggling….These are from the agenda tonight at the very end of the meeting. Could this be a sneaking through of motions taken in secret?
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE COUNCIL OF THE CORPORATION OF THE CITY OF CORNWALL ENACTS AS FOLLOWS:
1. (a) That the following Minutes of the Public Meetings of the Municipal Council of The Corporation of the City of Cornwall be and the same are hereby adopted:
Public meeting #2013-05 of Monday, February 11, 2013
Special Public meeting #2013-06 of Tuesday, February 19, 2013
(b) That the following Minutes of the In Camera Meeting pertaining to the security or part of the property of the Municipality or Local Board, personal matters about an identifiable individual, including municipal or Local Board employees, a proposed or pending acquisition or disposition of land by the Municipality or Local Board, labour relations or employee negotiations, litigation or potential litigation, including matters before administrative tribunals, affecting the Municipality or Local Board, advice that is subject to solicitor-client privilege, including communications necessary for the purpose, a matter in respect of which a Council, Board, Committee other body may hold a closed meeting under another Act, or for the purpose of educating or training the members and where no member discusses or otherwise deals with any matter in a way that materially advances the business or decision-making of the council, local board or committee, be and the same are hereby adopted:
Committee of Council #2013-05 of Monday, February 11, 2013
Special Committee of Council #2013-06 of Tuesday, February 19, 2013
(c) That the actions of the Council at its meetings held on Monday, February 25, 2013, in respect of each recommendation contained in all reports of the regular and in-camera meetings and in respect of each motion, resolution and other action taken by the Council at its said meeting is, except where the prior approval of the Ontario Municipal Board or other authority is by law required, hereby adopted, ratified and confirmed as if all such proceedings were expressly embodied in the By-law;
(d) That the above mentioned actions shall not include any actions required By-law to be taken by resolutions.
2. That where no By-law has been or is passed with respect to the taking of any action authorized in or by the above mentioned Minutes or with respect to the exercise of any powers by the Council in the above mentioned Minutes, then this By-law shall be deemed for all purposes to be the By-law required for approving and authorizing and taking of any action authorized therein or thereby, or required for the exercise of any powers therein by the Council.
3. The Mayor and proper officials of The Corporation of the City of Cornwall are hereby authorized and directed to do all things necessary to give effect to the above-mentioned actions and to obtain approvals where required.
4. Unless otherwise provided, the Mayor and Clerk are hereby authorized and directed to execute and the Clerk to affix the seal of The Corporation of the City of Cornwall to all documents necessary to give effect to the above mentioned actions.
5. It is declared that notwithstanding that any section or sections of this By-law or parts thereof, may be found by any court of law to be bad or illegal or beyond the power of the Council to enact, such section(s) or part(s) hereof shall be deemed to be severable and that all other sections or parts of this By-law are separate and independent there from and enacts as such.
Read, signed and sealed in open Council this 25th day of February, 2013.
Is this how you want your city run? There’s a rally at 6:45 outside of City Hall tonight before the 7 PM Council meeting, the meeting after the regularly scheduled in camera
What do you think Cornwall? You can post your comments below.