Greetings:I am writing on behalf of the Concerned Citizens Coalition. We submitted a conditional “Offer to Purchase” (attached) regarding the General Hospital. Our goal is to see that the building be used for the common good and social benefit of the community, with the focus on seniors.There was a similar situation in Barrie Ontario a few years back and, we are proceeding with our issue in the same fashion.We have been informed that the Hospital Board will be making their decision by March 11 and, as stated in our offer, we need administrative and technical support from our Council in order to proceed.Being as our Council does not meet again until March 25, I am requesting that a “Special Meeting” of Council be called to deal with this important issue. Our Mayor and Council need to be made aware of these developments.I am proposing a meeting for this Friday as it is crucial that we have the support of Council. Myself and Josh Welsh are prepared to make a presentation on this matter.We will be asking for a motion stating, the City Council notify the Hospital Board that the City of Cornwall supports our offer in principle.This matter is of an urgent nature due to the time limits that are in place and your cooperation would be appreciated.
Date: Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: Special Meeting of Council
To: “Mark A. MacDonald”.Hello,Unfortunately, there are not enough Councillors available to constitute quorum for a meeting on Friday. Therefore, we cannot hold a meeting..Regards,Helen Finn, LLB in law, Quebec,City Clerk / Greffière
I am writing on behalf of the Concerned Citizens Coalition and this matter relates to our offer to purchase the General Hospital and make sure it remains for the common good and social benefit of the community, with the focus on seniors.My understanding is that the Hospital Board is meeting today at 16:00 hrs, in order to consider proposals for the General Hospital.We are dealing with millions of dollars of public money and it should involve cooperation from all levels of government. This is an opportunity for us to provide a quality place for seniors in our area, for years to come.I had asked for a special meeting with our City Council in order to secure their technical and administrative support for this project and, was informed by the City of Cornwall Clerk that Council needs time to be able assemble a quorum.I am requesting that you postpone your decision until the Council has an opportunity to meet and discuss this important matter.By way of this email, I am asking that the City Clerk assemble the Council at the earliest possible time, in order to consider this matter.I am trusting that this request is in order.
There seems to be a lack of urgency in this situation and the question has to be why as so many have shown concern to protecting the Cornwall General for community services as opposed to simply flipping it for pennies on the dollar to a private purchaser.
What do you think dear viewers? Will the Cornwall General be saved? Should the hospital board grant the Concerned Citizen’s proposal more time?
You can post your comments below.