CFN – Emails from irate tax payers and businesses flooded CFN this afternoon after news spread that the City of Cornwall has bailed out the Cornwall and Area Chamber of Commerce Spring Trade show by renting out space for 10 departments!
The unprecedented expenditure comes after Chamber Prez Kevin Hargreaves, owner of the local Kelsey’s came hat in hand asking the City to chop 30% from the terribly reasonable fees that the City charges for the salons at the Civic Complex.
Emails and calls to Norm Levac, CAO of Cornwall asking the amount spent by the city at this years show were unanswered as of press time.
Residents can now spend $5 entrance to learn about city departments such as :
Building permits and requirements for fences, pools and sheds.
• Rules for outdoor fires.
• 2013 planned road, sidewalk and bike lane projects.
• The City GIS System.
• The City Budget, taxation and purchasing services. Residents will be able to request a five-year comparison of the property taxes for their property.
• Garbage, recycling, leaf and yard waste and hazardous waste day programs.
• The Spring Clean-Up Challenge (registration will be taken on the spot).
• Wastewater Treatment Plant upgrade project.
• Volunteer water meter program.
• The emerald ash borer (an invasive beetle that destroys native ash trees). Parks and Landscaping Supervisor Jim Althouse will also be making presentations at the show on Saturday at 2 pm and Sunday at 11 am.
• Cornwall Transit routes and schedules.
• On-the-spot bicycle registration (serial number and model is required).
• Emergency management and public access defibrillators.
• Programs and services at the Cornwall Public Library.
All of which of course could be discovered for free by either visiting City Hall of the departments, or their websites. CFN will also be asking Mr. Levac how much in staff and overtime will be spent by having City staff man booths at the show in Cornwall?
In addition the City wrote and sent out a press release to media pimping the show and their participation.
What do you think Cornwallites about the City burning through cash after raising taxes 2.88% to support the chamber show to the tune of thousands?
You can post your comments below.