Seaway News Covers Massive Fire at Alice & First in Cornwall Ontario Instead of All Candidates Debate – Oct 1, 2014

Seaway News Covers Massive Fire at Alice & First in Cornwall Ontario Instead of All Candidates Debate – Oct 1, 2014

alice first fire NELSON

CORNWALL Ontario – The Seaway News chased a fire tonight instead of covering the Francophone Meet and Greet the Candidates Spaghetti fundraiser at the Knights of Columbus.

photo courtesy Aaron White
photo courtesy Aaron White

The fire was a doozy!

alice fire AARON WHITE 2
Photo Courtesy Aaron White


The homes were near Jonathan’s Convenience at the corner Alice & 1st street and started around 7 PM.  The store apparently sold out of marshmallows…

Photo Courtesy of Todd LeBlanc
Photo Courtesy of Todd LeBlanc

One person was reported taken to CCH for respiratory issues.  Power is also reported off in the area; but it isn’t clear if a transformer blew or it was done as a precaution.

alice fire Joey Nelson

The house at 367 Alice is reported to be the same that had a body found in it last year.  Could the ghost possibly have nibbled at the wires and could this be the beginning of clearing space for Mayor Kilger’s promised East End park?

We will update as more info becomes available.


If you see news happen email us at with your photos or videos.  You could win area event tickets or gift cards!


Related Post

Leave a Reply

14 Comment threads
2 Thread replies
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
14 Comment authors
mary brayrondajulesStanWest Robertson Recent comment authors

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Notify of

You’d think with all their staff they’d be able to cover both events.


Hugger “all the free ad paper staff”???
You would have to pry Rick and Todd out of the VIP beer tent…mcintosh is off running for city council leaving only adam to flip a coin to see what story to cover knowing NOBODY will ever see it anyway!!!

Christopher North

You spoke well tonite at the franco meeting……when this fire was burning………wow…..too bad for the families here…….After shaking your hand and leaving ..I held the door open for Mr. Kilger ..who didn’t say thanks or acknowledge my presence…..well ..All I could think of was ” Kiss my Grits………” bullface “………!next time you get the door in the face..!

Ben Richards

What terrible journalism. People could have died and all you can do is be a sarcastic piece of work. This is why you wont win the election. Obviously human life isnt important to you nor is someone who is out of a job or business. You are a terrible person and should be ashamed of your remarks. And i hope you have permissikn to use these pictures and video without consent.


Ran out if marshmallows? Peoples lives and homes at stake and you make this stupid joke? ?


So what were the highlights of the debate?


(Comments and opinions of Editorials, Letters to the Editor, and comments from readers are purely their own and don’t necessarily reflect those of the owners of this site, their staff, or sponsors.)

Comment policy reminder

CFN suggests you post comments using your real name. If you wish to post with a pseudonym you can register that user id by emailing with your name, address, phone number and user id you wish to register.

{MODERATED}I may be confused


As a victim of a fire where i not only lost my twin brother, but all my possessions this article makes me sick.

how dare you make light of such a serious situation. Whats worse is you are running to represent a community!! Are you kidding me?

I hope this article you so ignorantly wrote comes back to shame you in the worst way.

shame on you.

West Robertson

This has to be one of the most unproffesional articals I have ever seen!

Brimg the marshmellows?!?! Seriously and you want the Mayors chair???

If you want people to take you serious then perhaps you should be more professional and show some compassion for those affected by this fire!


They didn’t come because they couldn’t afford the spaghetti.


Megan I am very sorry for what you went through with the loss of your brother and your possessions. Back in the later 50’s era there was a big fire in a house on Marlborough Street and a girl who lived in that house was badly burned and the community came together to help. The house was gone but another was put in place. The previous house was a tenement house and they lived upstairs and she was thrown from the upstairs and was placed in the hospital with those burns. I haven’t heard about her or her family at… Read more »


Jamie you remember very well what Mr. Bob Hickley of the Fire Department said about what Paul Fitzpatrick said about “let the east end burn” and that was a big insult and some of us came here defending this. Mr. Hickley was badly hurt for coming forward about all of this including the hiring of Bare Ass’s son who was not qualified but got in anyway because of his old man being the mayor. Well Jamie you made a boo boo as well about toasting marshmallows and yes people are mighty ignorant in their comments but you are supposed to… Read more »


” Could the ghost possibly have nibbled at the wires”
” The store apparently sold out of marshmallows…”
Those 2 quotes from your article were rude and unprofessional but it was your response to Megan that truly showed your true colours. I no longer live in Cornwall but I can tell you if I did I would not support you because of above mentioned comments. Megan is not the one that made any “silly outrageous statements of pointless hate” Jamie, but you did.

mary bray

Jules, The fire that you spoke about happened to my cousin,s two little boys who perished same day & her husband died in 2 weeks from his injury.E R staff had sent R N mom out of E R on a mission before ambulance arrived to help with the shock factor.My cousin later moved up north & has remarried years ago.She had one more son. She was not new to tradegy,previously she had lost 2 brothers & a cousin all killed on bikes by a drunk driver