Ontario Provincial Police News Portal [LEEDS COUNTY (Brockville)] DAMAGED MAILBOXES IN RIDEAU LAKES 2016-03-28
Officers of the Rideau Lakes Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police are continuing an investigation into several damaged mailboxes on Bay Road, Rideau Lakes Township.
On the 26th of March 2016 at about 4:30 PM officers were notified of not only one, but several mailboxes that were vandalized along the same road. It is believed it occurred sometime over the past couple of nights.
Although there were no reports of mail theft in this instance, the OPP would further remind residents to protect themselves against the theft of mail and further protect their identity.
Identity theft is when someone steals your name and personal information to access your finances, buy goods and incur debt in your name, or commit other crimes.
– Collect your mail promptly after delivery
– If you’ll be away, notify Canada Post to hold your mail, or have your mail picked up for you.
– If you move, file a change of addres s and advise your banks and other companies of the change.
– If your bills fail to arrive, contact companies immediately to ensure bills have not been fraudulently redirected.
– Shred documents that contain personal financial information.