SIU Called to Ottawa to Investigate Fatal Police-Involved Shooting
Case Number: 17-OFD-135
Ottawa, ON (3 June, 2017) — The province’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the circumstances surrounding a police-involved shooting in downtown Ottawa overnight. Two men died in the incident and a third man was injured.
- Shortly after 2:00 a.m., an Ottawa Police Service officer was driving in the area of Dalhousie Street and Clarence Street.
- At around the same time, on the west side of Dalhousie Street, north of Clarence Street, a man was shot. He was later taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
- The police officer attempted to arrest a male suspect in relation to the shooting. The male fled.
- A third man was then shot. That 43-year-old man was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
- The police officer followed the male suspect who fled.
- Inside a parking garage on Murray Street, east of Dalhousie Street, there was a confrontation between the man who fled and the police officer. Several shots were fired.
- The man who fled was pronounced dead at the scene.