Sending Love & Winter Warmth to Fort McMurray by Jane Dusomos AUG 20, 2016

Sending Love & Winter Warmth to Fort McMurray by Jane Dusomos AUG 20, 2016

Did you know that there is a nation-wide quilt drive happening right now to benefit the families affected by the Fort McMurray wildfire? Neither did I… Today I had the pleasure of interviewing Monique Wilson. Monique is our local Canadian Quilters Association representative who is collecting quilts from our area to be donated to those […]

CFN Looking for Contributors – Opinion, News, Sports, Arts & More! CLICK FOR DETAILS

CFN Looking for Contributors – Opinion, News, Sports, Arts & More!  CLICK FOR DETAILS

The Cornwall Free News is looking to share our platform with more writers, photographers, videographers, and artists this year. Do you have a burning passion about a subject or your community? If you want exposure what better place?  If you want a soapbox where your voice will be heard this is the spot for you! […]

Alberta Provincial NDP Win Bodes Worse for Justin Trudeau than Stephen Harper by Jamie Gilcig – MAY 6, 2015 #cdnpoli

Alberta Provincial NDP Win Bodes Worse for Justin Trudeau than Stephen Harper by Jamie Gilcig – MAY 6, 2015 #cdnpoli

CFN – The biggest loser in the Province of Ontario election is not Jim Prentice and his Federal  Conservative counterparts under PM Stephen Harper, but Justin Trudeau.   As the next Federal election looms closer Canadians are mulling over a lot of options. Is the Harper government past it’s “best buy” date?  Absolutely, but then […]

What is the Friendliest City in Canada to Live In by Jamie Gilcig – JAN 16, 2015 #FCICANADA

What is the Friendliest City in Canada to Live In by Jamie Gilcig – JAN 16, 2015 #FCICANADA

CORNWALL Ontario – What is the most friendly city in Canada?  I don’t mean to tourists, but to each other as residents?  What is the best place to live? What is the best place to raise a family or retire?  Or start a business? I thought I’d found a pretty great place here in Cornwall […]

Merry Christmas Greetings on Cornwall Free News! CLICK FOR DETAILS

Merry Christmas Greetings on Cornwall Free News!   CLICK FOR DETAILS

Special Offer for all of our CFN viewers! Buying cards, filling them out, Canada Post! Save on the high cost of mailing out Christmas and Holiday cards by purchasing a greeting on CFN! You can post your image, photo or even video greeting with a short message for only $29.95! Friends, family and people from […]

How Did Canadian NHL GM’s Do in the Off Season by Jamie Gilcig – Aug 25, 2014

How Did Canadian NHL GM’s Do in the Off Season by Jamie Gilcig – Aug 25, 2014

CFN – As the long hot Summer comes to an end changes have occurred across the NHL.   Some more drastic than others.    Some teams have new coaches and GM’s.   We’re going to look at Canada’s six teams and rate their performances in their attempt to bring Lord Stanley’s Cup back to Canada. […]

MLB Writer Peter Gammons Labels NHL Minor Sport after Vancouver Calgary Brawl by Jamie Gilcig

CFN –  Calgary and Vancouver played Saturday night. The Canucks wangled a 3-2 win; but it was the opening 5 on 5 brawl that has the world of Social Media buzzing today. Calgary started their Brian Burke kind of guys. Vancouver coach, John Tortarella, never one to be mistaken for Mother Teresa, kicked it into […]

Earth Matters by Jacqueline Milner Where did my meal come from?

Earth Matters by Jacqueline Milner Where did my meal come from?

CFN – I was given a book by a friend not too long ago which I am just getting around to reading, The Omnivore’s Dilemma, A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan.  So much interesting information…”Our ingenuity in feeding ourselves is prodigious, but at various points our technologies come into conflict with nature’s […]

Bees Matter. They feed us, they need our help…NOW. by Jacqueline Milner

Bees Matter.  They feed us, they need our help…NOW.   by Jacqueline Milner

CFN – Yes this is the Earth Matters column.  We are changing the title of this column for today out of respect and consideration for all this little flying animal does for us each day.  Bees, which are critical to our food supply are experiencing immense life challenges due to the hand of man.  They […]

Earth Friendly solutions for packing lunches and scrubbing the throne by Jacqueline Milner.

Earth Friendly solutions for packing lunches and scrubbing the throne by Jacqueline Milner.

CFN – I just love coming across items that help me accomplish my daily needs and are additionally  “earth friendly”.  These are two items that caught my eye and prompted me to open my wallet to purchase in the last week. The first item is the ECO Lunchbox.  The item came with minimal packaging […]

The Possibility of Hamilton, Ontario by Jacqueline Milner

The Possibility of Hamilton, Ontario by Jacqueline Milner

CFN – A recent visit with a friend in Hamilton, Ontario opened my eyes to “POSSIBILITY”.  The possibility of growing flowers and food on my own front yard.  Many front yard vegetable gardens were sighted on my stroll through an older neighborhood.  Think of the possibilities this offers.  The possibility of nutritious low cost food, […]

Pollutants Threaten Iconic Canadian Bird – Earth Matters by Jacqueline Milner

Pollutants Threaten Iconic Canadian Bird – Earth Matters by Jacqueline Milner

CFN – For all Canadian Cottage goers and summer water seekers the sight and sounds of the Common Loon lift the spirit and add that special something to a retreat spent away from the ‘day to day’ in our down-time spent near the water. The soul stirring call of Canada’s Iconic Loon is experiencing challenges […]

Easy Vegetables and Greens for Health by Jacqueline Milner

Easy Vegetables and Greens for Health by Jacqueline Milner

CFN – Have you planted any vegetables this year? My planting journey began back in February with an experiment in growing some slips from a sweet potato in water.  I started with three potatoes, commercially bought at the store and came to find out from an experienced gardener that store bought potatoes may present challenges […]

Standing up for Seed Sovereignty and GMO Food Labelling by Jacqueline Milner

Standing up for Seed Sovereignty and GMO Food Labelling by Jacqueline Milner

CFN – There were demonstrations organized and attended, worldwide this past Saturday, May 25th.  I attended the event on Parliament Hill, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  People are concerned about having the food that fuels their bodies and that of their loved ones, mutated, morphed into something which will supposedly grow bigger, last longer, withstand chemicals and […]

Insects…an intricate part of the circle of life by Jacqueline Milner.

There are so many life forms that surround us, especially this time of the year.  Crawling, flying, hanging insects are eveywhere, above and below ground.  These tiny creatures are intricately connected to each and everyone of us and I’m certain help to maintain a healthy balance of our world in ways that we have yet […]

Easy yard work in chewable chunks with the right tools…Earth Matters by Jacqueline Milner.

Easy yard work in chewable chunks with the right tools…Earth Matters by Jacqueline Milner.

The warmer weather has finally arrived.  Wonderful!  I’m certain many of us were out getting dirty, cleaning up our yards, and perhaps readying our garden plots for some flowers and vegetables.  Many of us tend to try and get all the tasks done in one day and end up discouraged and very sore the following […]