CORNWALL Ontario –
There are lots of options to serve. Last term I applied for several but was denied because….well essentially all but one of the Lay committee was not re-elected so that should answer that question.
New Mayor Leslie O’Shaughnessy has some interesting choices for the Lay Committee and I have a hunch will rely on some of the more experienced Councillors
I attended the last meeting of our Waterfront Committee last week.
Former Mayor Kilger was a no show as were Roy Perkins and Todd Bennett.
It was a sombre meeting and apparently a few whiny comments were made as I had to leave early.
People talk about healing and moving forward. One act of sanity would be to give all on this committee a term off. Not a single one should be on any committee for the simple reason that they allowed pettiness to embarrass Cornwall by moving into an illegal in camera meeting.
Sadly, even after the Fournier report spelled things out not a single member of this committee apologized to the community. Not a one. A few actually bitched about it believe it or not, and Glen Grant still thinks he did nothing wrong even though he was the chief agitator of that night.
The excuses given about “not knowing” the rules clearly are a canard as Former Mayor Kilger and Former Councilor Grant were both long serving. Chair Lee Cassidy asked for advice and received none.
For Ms Cassidy, Glen Grant, Eric Lang, Roy Perkins, Todd Bennett, Michel Dubuc, Kevin Donnelly, Guy Menard, Pat Clarke, Colleen Bissonette, Bob Kilger, and Keitha Fisher (btw congrats on the patronage gig from former member and councilor Denis Thibault at the EOTB Keitha!) choices were made. Multiple opportunities to mea culpa occurred, but not a single one taken advantage of.
Committees are extremely important and should be more than just an opportunity to eat on the public dime.
Hopefully lots of people apply again this term. I know I have.
From the City website here is the list of Committees in Cornwall below. Now is the time to apply! CLICK THIS LINK to go to the application.
The Council of The Corporation of the City of Cornwall is seeking applications from interested individuals who would like to serve the Community and volunteer to serve as Member on various Boards, Commissions and Committees as follows:
- Audit Committee (2 Lay Members)
- Building Industry Liaison and Advisory Committee (2 Members from the Development Industry and 1 Design Professional)
- Committee of Adjustment (3 Lay Members)
- Cornwall and Area Housing Corporation Board of Directors (3 Lay Members)
- Cornwall Community Police Service Board (1 Lay Member)
- Cornwall Economic Development Strategic Plan Implementation Advisory Committee (4 Lay Members)
- Cornwall Planning Programs Evaluation Committee (1 Lay Member)
- Cornwall Public Library Board (5 Lay Members)
- Cornwall Regional Airport Commission (1 Lay Member)
- Cornwall Regional Airport Review Committee (1 Lay Member)
- Cornwall Youth Advisory Committee (8 Students and 3 Adults)
- Culture Plan Committee (5 Arts Community Members, 4 Community-at-Large Members)
- Environmental Advisory Committee (3 Lay Members)
- Heritage-Patrimoine Cornwall (9 Lay Members)
- Long Term Goose Control Committee (3 Lay Members)
- Municipal Accessibility Advisory Committee (3 Members from Community Stakeholders and 5 Members from the Disability Community)
- Property Standards Advisory Committee (3 Lay Members)
- Property Standards Appeal Committee (3 Lay Members)
- Recreation Advisory Committee (8 Lay Members)
- Skateboard/BMX Sub-Committee (2 Lay Members)
- Transit Committee (2 Lay Members)
- Waterfront Development Committee (10 Lay Members)
- Waterfront Land Acquisition Committee (2 Lay Members)
Applicants are invited to submit their Applications (click on link below) and Resumes to the City of Cornwall’s Clerk’s Department outlining their qualifications and interests by mail, in person, by fax or by email no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, December 5, 2014.
(Comments and opinions of Editorials, Letters to the Editor, and comments from readers are purely their own and don’t necessarily reflect those of the owners of this site, their staff, or sponsors.)
Comment policy reminder
CFN suggests you post comments using your real name. If you wish to post with a pseudonym you can register that user id by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, address, phone number and user id you wish to register.