Cornwall ON – Cornwall Regional Task Force (CRTF) along with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) have seized approx 1800 pounds of frozen poultry product which was smuggled into Canada from the USA. The investigation, which included the execution of a search warrant at a local Cornwall residence, is ongoing at this time and charges are pending. The boxes containing the illicit poultry were marked “unfit for human consumption” by the US authorities.
Between January 8th and February 10th 2011, along with their regular duties, CRTF members provided assistance to CBSA Port of Entry officers as well as Cornwall Community Police Service (CCPS) officers in several contraband seizures resulting in the arrests of a total of ten (10) individuals. The following reflects the impact of their efforts:
- 5 seizures in Cornwall, Ontario
- 2 seizures in South Glengarry, Ontario
- 7 seizures at the Cornwall Port of Entry.
These seizures resulted in the arrests of the following five (5) individuals who were charged with being in possession of a tobacco product not properly stamped in accordance with the Federal Excise Act, 2001 and/or under authority of the provincial Tobacco Tax Act:
A young male (aged 16), who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
Georgina LAZORE (aged 44) from Cornwall, Ontario;
Curtis WHITE (aged 42), Jesse DAVID (aged 21) and Trevin James Curtis SUNDAY (aged 23) all from the Akwesasne Mohawk Territory;
ALSO, as a result of these seizures, one (1) individual from the Akwesasne Mohawk Territory is facing a charge for possession of drugs under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act;
– Eleven (11) vehicles described as a 2000 Chrysler 300; a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix; a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado Pick-up; a 2006 Chevrolet Impala; a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado Pick- up Ford; a 2004 Chevrolet Pick-up; a 2002 Chevrolet Blazer; a 2010 Ford Ranger pick-up; a 2003 GMC Savanna Van; 2001 Chevrolet Van; a 2007 Arctic Cat;
– One (1) 2008 Pace cargo trailer;
– One (1) Stealth trailer;
– Two (2) Snowmobile utility tubs;
– Eight (8) grams of marihuana;
– 1,804 pounds of frozen poultry product;
– 36,132 re-sealable bags and cartons each containing approximately 200 contraband cigarettes;
– $11,240 Canadian and US dollars;
The CRTF is seeking the public’s assistance in locating the following individuals who currently have outstanding warrants of arrests: Louis J. ADAMS (aged 22) of the Akwesasne Mohawk Territory, and Lacey ARQUETTE (aged 22) of Hogansburg, NY. If the whereabouts of these individuals is known, please contact the CRTF at 613-937-2800 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).
Cst. Juneau further stated: “The CRTF members work hard to make our communities, safer places to live however, your assistance in staying vigilant and informing us of these suspicious activities will help us in being even more successful.”
The CRTF is a joint forces partnership including the RCMP, CBSA, OPP, MOR and CCPS.