CFN – Since it first opened in 1961, Upper Canada Village has played a key role in Eastern Ontario’s tourism industry having welcomed over 12 million visitors from around the world.
With a reputation as one of North America’s finest living history museums, the village is a showpiece of the St. Lawrence Parks Commission which includes parks and attractions from Kingston to the Quebec border. Included in the recent celebrations were performances by the Travelling Tiltons, The Fabulous Edsels and The Maple Leaf Brass Band. The village’s reenactors and community partners took part in a parade followed by a plaque unveiling and ribbon cutting ceremony which marked the opening of a new exhibit at Crylser Hall. On display are ten impressive stained and painted glass windows by the famous 19th century glass painter Harry Horwood.
As part of a $13 million investment by the Ontario Government, a new discovery centre, located at the village entrance, is scheduled to open later this summer. The Crylser Farm Battlefield will also be upgraded as it prepares for the bicentennial of the War of 1812.