SIU Investigating Two-Car Crash in Ottawa; Three Seriously Injured
Case Number: 16-OVI-095
Mississauga, ON (12 April, 2016) —
Investigators with the SIU are examining the circumstances surrounding a brief police pursuit linked to an early morning collision in Ottawa. Three persons suffered serious injuries.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- About 1:15 a.m., an Ottawa Police officer in a marked police cruiser attempted to stop the driver of a Pontiac G6 in the area of Cumberland and George Streets in the Byward Market.
- The driver fled and the officer started a pursuit.
- Moments later, the pursuit was called off.
- Not long after, the driver of the Pontiac was involved in a collision with a Honda Accord at the intersection of McArthur Avenue and Vanier Parkway.
- Three persons were rushed to Ottawa Hospital – Civic Campus. The 37-year-old driver of the Pontiac and the 24-year-old driver of the Honda (both male) are in critical condition. A 21-year-old female passenger in the Honda suffered serious injuries.
Four investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.