SIU Charges Chatham-Kent Police Service Officer with Sexual Assault and Breach of Trust
Case Number: 15-OSA-191
Mississauga, ON (31 May, 2016) —
- Around 2:00 a.m. on August 23, 2015, a 23-year-old woman encountered a Chatham-Kent Police officer.
- The woman was driven in a marked cruiser to a parking lot in the Orangewood Boulevard area.
- The woman was allegedly sexually assaulted.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.