York Regional Police Officer Charged
Case Number: 16-OSA-274
Mississauga, ON (22 June, 2017) —
The Director of the Special Investigations Unit (SIU), Tony Loparco, has caused charges to be laid against a York Regional Police officer in relation to incidents that reportedly occurred in 2014.
On Wednesday, November 2, 2016, the SIU was contacted by YRP regarding complaints of a sexual nature against a YRP officer. The complainant, a 26-year-old woman, alleged she was sexually assaulted between August and December of 2014. The SIU invoked its mandate.
As a result of the SIU investigation, 35-year-old Constable Young Min von Seefried is facing the following charges under the Criminal Code:
- Two counts of sexual assault, contrary to s. 271; and
- Two counts of breach of trust by public officer, contrary to s. 122.
Constable von Seefried was arrested today by members of the SIU. He was taken before the courthouse in Newmarket. His bail hearing was adjourned until July 13, 2017.
The matter is now properly before the courts. In consideration of the fair trial interests of the accused, the SIU will make no further comment pertaining to this investigation.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.