Semi-Automatic assault rifle seized during warrant execution
(Ottawa) – Yesterday morning, the Ottawa Police Service Guns and Gangs Unit participated in an investigation led by the Gatineau Police Anti Gang Unit, which resulted in the execution of a search warrant in Ottawa at a residence on Ontario Street.
In Ottawa, a total of seven (7) persons were taken into custody and one male suspect is facing Criminal Code charges. The other 6 persons were released unconditionally.
The search warrant yielded a semi-automatic assault rifle with multiple high-capacity loaded magazines (see picture.)
Ali AHMED, 24 years old, of Ottawa is charged with:
- Use / handle / store firearm, etc. carelessly
- Possession of a weapon, etc. / dangerous to public peace
- Possession of a restricted or prohibited firearm without holding a licence and registration certificate
- Possession of a restricted or prohibited firearm knowingly not holding a licence and registration certificate
- Possession of a prohibited / restricted weapon or prohibited device knowing no authority x 2
- Possession of a loaded regulated firearm
AHMED was scheduled to appear at show cause on February 22nd.
This is a Gatineau Police-led investigation, and as such no further information will be released by the Ottawa Police Service.