SIU Terminates Investigation into Death of Man in Rideau Township
Case Number: 17-PCD-136
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-PCD-136
Mississauga, ON (18 September, 2017) —
The Director of the Special Investigations Unit, Tony Loparco, has terminated an investigation into an incident where a 43-year-old man sustained a self-inflicted gunshot wound in June of 2017. The man succumbed to his injuries days later.
A preliminary investigation found the following:
- In the afternoon hours of June 3, 2017, an Ontario Provincial Police officer with the Rideau Lakes detachment contacted the man by phone to advise him of pending charges. The officer advised the man to turn himself in, and told the man he would be released on an undertaking.
- At 3:20 p.m., the man called 911 and reported that he had shot himself.
- Police officers and paramedics were dispatched to the man’s home, where he was located in nearby bushes.
- He was transported to the Ottawa Civic Hospital by air ambulance, and underwent surgery.
- The man succumbed to his injuries. He was pronounced dead at 7:47 p.m. on June 9, 2017.
Director Tony Loparco said, “A post-mortem examination confirmed that the man died as a result of complications from a gunshot to the chest. When the man shot himself, no police officer was present. As such, there being no evidence that any police officer was responsible for the man’s death, this investigation has been terminated.”
Please follow and like us: