Telephone: 613-534-8889 or 1-800-265-3915
Address: 2 Mille Roches Road, PO Box 84, Long Sault, ON K0C 1P0
Email Address: email@example.com
Mayor Bryan McGillis 613-937-3116 firstname.lastname@example.org
Deputy Mayor Tammy Hart 613-984-2543 email@example.com
Councillor Cindy Woods 613-537-2977 firstname.lastname@example.org
Councillor Barry Brownlee 613-537-9753
Councillor Richard Waldroff 613-537-8226 email@example.com
Regular business hours: Monday to Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Latest news and information: visit www.southstormont.ca.
2014 Budget preparations are underway; the first was held on January 21 and the second is scheduled for March 5 at 9:00 AM.
The public is welcome to attend.
February Council Meeting
February 19 at 7:00 PM
The public is welcome to attend.
The Buzz on E-Biz…..
With speaker Bernard Charlebois, leading E-Biz seminars in the Eastern Ontario region for the past 4 years.
Feb 19/14 – On-Line Advertising – This session will focus on using online display advertising techniques to advertise your business.
For further information, please contact Candy Pollard, Business Consultant, Cornwall Business Enterprise Centre, Direct Line 613-933-0074 or www.businessenterprisecentre.ca
Municipal Election 2014
On October 27, 2014, electors across the Township will exercise their right to vote in the municipal election. If the required nominations are received,
voters may cast their ballots for:
One Deputy Mayor;
- Three Township Councillors;
- Two Separate School Trustees (English and French); and
- Two Public School Trustees (English and French).
Nomination forms are available at the Town Hall, 2 Mille Roches Road, Long Sault or through the Township website www.southstormont.ca.
Town Hall Closure
The Township office will be closed on Monday, February 17 for Family Day and will re-open February 18 at 8:30 AM.
Garbage and Recycling
There will be NO CHANGE to your recycling or garbage pick-up due to the holiday.
Household Hazardous Waste
The Hazardous Waste Site is now closed. 2014 dates will be forthcoming.
Please note that the Township landfill site also accepts e-waste
Request For Quotation (RFQ)
RFQ No. 01-2014 Equipment Rental Quotation
CLOSING DATE: February 6, 2014
Equipment Rental Quotation RFQ documents can be obtained at the Town Hall, 2 Mille Roches Road, Long Sault, up to the day prior to the RFQ closing date. Quotations, clearly marked and addressed to the Clerk, will be received at the above noted address no later than 11:00 AM on the closing date. Quotations will be received by fax at 613-534-2280 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Surfing …..Anytime of the year!
Catch the wave and surf the “NEW” Township website at www.southstormont.ca A refreshing and informative experience.
Utility Billing (Water/Sewer for the period July-December, 2013)
Water bills for July to December 2013 (Ingleside, Long Sault, Eamers Corners/St. Andrews West) have been mailed and are due February 21, 2014.
FIRE & RESCUE
CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING
With the cold winter upon us, South Stormont Fire & Rescue is urging the public to be aware of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and how to be safe from this “silent killer.”
CO is an invisible and odourless gas emitted from the combustion process of fuels such as kerosene, gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil and methane. Installing a CO alarm(s) in your home will alert occupants to the presence of this deadly gas.
CO facts and tips:
- Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea and drowsiness, as well as confusion, loss of consciousness and death.
- Install and maintain a CO alarm(s) inside your home to provide early warning of CO danger.
- CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area.
- During power outages, locate generators safely away from any of the openings in your home such as air intakes, vents, windows or doors.
- Never run your car or other fueled engines indoors, even if the garage door is open.
- Never barbecue inside your garage.
- During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow & ice build-up.
- If your CO alarm sounds, get everyone out of the home immediately. Call 911 from outside the home. Do not re-enter your home until South Stormont Fire & Rescue arrives to assist you.
- As you exit your home keep all windows and doors closed. This will help firefighters determine the location of the CO leak.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installing, maintaining, testing and replacement of your CO alarm.
Please park your vehicle in your driveway, well off the road, until street and sidewalk cleaning operations are complete. This allows our crews to do their job and make the streets and sidewalks safe for everyone. (Vehicles interfering with snow removal or blocking sidewalks may be ticketed at a cost of $40.00)
WINTER MAINTENANCE INFORMATION
Winter weather is still here. Your assistance during the winter season will help the Township of South Stormont Public Works Department provide efficient and effective winter maintenance. Please keep the following points in mind throughout the winter season:
- Trucks with flashing blue lights are working to clear the snow. Please give them room to work and pass very carefully.
- It may be less frustrating to wait until the plow trucks have completed their street before shoveling the end of your driveway.
- Snow from the end of the driveway should be shoveled to the right, facing the street.
- If you hire a contractor to plow your driveway, please remind them that pushing snow back into or across the street is prohibited. Doing so not only creates hazards for drivers, but also makes it difficult to keep the streets clean.
- The Township’s mailbox policy states that the Public Works Department will only replace a mailbox if the post or box has a direct hit from the Township’s snowplow.
- If your garbage and / or recycling pickup day coincide with plowing activities, make sure your trash can and recycling bins are behind the curb or in the driveway so that it avoids the plow.
Did you know that the average completion time for each plow route is six (6) hours? Some factors that can affect this approximate time include:
- snowfall accumulation,
- type of precipitation (i.e. freezing rain, wet snow or “just plain” snow), and/or
- the time of day the precipitation occurs.
All concerns or requests relative to snow removal should be directed to the Town Hall at 613-534-8889, please allow our equipment operators to do their job.
Parks and Recreation Department (Long Sault Arena)
Address: 60 Mille Roches Road, Long Sault, ON K0C 1P0
7th Annual Lost Villages Ice Fishing Tournament
This fun tournament will take place on Saturday, February 22 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Hoople’s Bay in Ingleside. The tournament has become one of the area’s largest participated events. Registration is now open, forms are available at Collette’s Ice Hut Rentals, The Boathouse Baitshop, or the Long Sault Marina Restaurant.
2013 South Stormont Volunteer of the Year Award LAST CALL FOR NOMINATIONS!
The deadline to nominate a deserving recipient for the prestigious 2013 Fran Laflamme Volunteer of the Year award is February 1, 2014. For the purpose of this award, “a volunteer is recognized as an individual that willingly volunteers their time and efforts to provide support to the municipal Corporation and its citizens as a whole. The South Stormont Volunteer Recognition Program does not recognize individuals for personal or family related successes or professional achievement”. Nomination forms are available at the Long Sault Arena, Municipal office, and can be downloaded from www.southstormont.ca.
South Stormont Sports Hall of Fame
NOW ACCEPTING NOMINATIONS FOR 2014 INDUCTION!
The Sports Hall of Fame continues to collect and receive nominations for athletes, coaches, and builders that reached outstanding achievements in their athletic careers. All nominations received prior to May 1, 2014 will be considered for induction at the next ceremony scheduled for September 20, 2014 at the South Stormont Community Hall. Nomination forms are available at the Long Sault Arena or can be downloaded from www.southstormont.ca/halloffame The Hall of Fame is also interested in receiving and archiving copies of old photos that might highlight a significant moment in South Stormont athletic history. For more information on submitting photos please contact Kevin Amelotte at email@example.com or 613-534-2419.
Long Sault Arena – Family Day Free Skating – MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
The Township of South Stormont will be hosting FREE public skating at the Long Sault Arena on Monday, February 17 from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Regular public skating rules apply.
2014 Spring Programs and Events Guide
Will you be operating a recreation or leisure program within South Stormont this spring? If you are looking for more registrants or are hosting a community event please forward your information to firstname.lastname@example.org before February 24.
Congratulations! South Stormont Selects, Adam B House League Team for your PROUD WIN at the Bell Cup in Ottawa, January 1, 2014.
Winter Looks Wonderful
With the Friends of the Sanctuary
- Winter weekends of walking through trails, feeding the birds, x-country skiing and snowshoeing began Saturday, January 4 and will continue until the end of March. The Visitor Centre will be open every Saturday and Sunday from 12:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. Skis and snowshoes are available for the afternoon for $2.00 each.
- Moonlight ski and snowshoe events will take place on Saturdays January 18, February 15 and March 15. The Visitor Centre will be open at 6 p.m. Guided groups will leave the Visitor Centre at 7:00 p.m. A $5.00 donation includes the guided tour and a warm beverage.
For more information please call the Visitor Centre at 613-537-2024 during the weekend or contact Colleen at 613-534-8155 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit our website at www.friendsofthesanctuary.org **Student volunteer opportunities also available.**
Dance the night away…….
Dance and Silent Auction “Back to the Past” ~ Dress in your finest vintage attire
When: Saturday, February 22
Where: Finch Community Centre Upstairs, 4 John Street, Finch
Cost: $10.00 per person and may be purchased at:
South Stormont Seniors’ Support Centre 613-537-8644
North Stormont Seniors’ Support Centre 613-984-2436
Doors open at 7:00 p.m., Entertainment by D. J. Dan, Prizes will be awarded throughout the evening, Refreshments and light lunch will be served at 10:00 p.m. All proceeds to benefit the seniors of North and South Stormont Townships.
Once again, the merchants of the Ingleside and Long Sault Business Owners Association collected donations of food, toys and cash donations on behalf of various food drives throughout South Stormont.
Pictured here are the merchants of the Long Sault Plaza presenting donations to the South Stormont Fire Fighters Association. Pictured left to right are Kim Stewart-Stokefire, Ritesh Patel-Subway, Brian Killoran-Fire Fighter (Station No. 1), Sylvie -Waterview Restaurant, Sylvie Theoret-Canada Post, Donna Primeau-Showcase Video, Shaun Blanchard-Grumpy’s.