Assault Charge Laid Against OPP Officer
Case Number: 15-PCI-138
Mississauga (29 December, 2015) —
- Just before 12:30 a.m., on July 1, 2015, a 19-year-old man from Oshawa was driving south on Highway 400.
- He began to experience car trouble and stopped his vehicle on the south shoulder in the eastbound collector lanes of Highway 401, east of Jane Street.
- Two OPP officers attended the scene.
- During their interaction, the man was injured and later diagnosed with a concussion.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.