Charges laid in bank robbery and vehicle theft investigations
(Ottawa)— The Ottawa Police Service Robbery Unit has laid a number of charges in connection to a series of bank robberies and vehicle theft investigations that occurred earlier this year.
Between April 11, 2016, and May 12, 2016, the Robbery Unit investigated a series of five (5) bank robberies all believed to be committed by the same suspect. During the same period, the Robbery Unit also took carriage of a series of vehicle theft investigations. In some cases the stolen vehicles were used in the commission of the bank robberies. The bank robberies were committed by a lone suspect, always disguised, and were all verbal demands for cash.
In three instances, the suspect accessed the area behind the counter. There were no injuries, and in each case the suspect fled with an undisclosed quantity of cash to a parked vehicle. No weapons were ever seen.
Based on witness observations, and other avenues of investigation, investigators linked a series of ten (10) vehicle thefts to the suspect and to the investigation of the bank robberies.
On May 2, 2016, at approximately 6:15am, a uniformed officer encountered one of the stolen vehicles in the area of Ogilvie Square at Ogilvie/Montreal Roads. When an attempt was made to stop the vehicle, the driver fled at a high rate of speed west along Montreal Road, through red lights, and into oncoming traffic. The pursuit was immediately terminated without incident. That stolen vehicle was recovered a short time later along St-Laurent Boulevard.
The following are a list of the investigations for which charges have now been laid:
- 1900 block Ogilvie Road-April 11, 2016
- 2200 block of Bank Street-April 15, 2016
- 1100 block of Bank Street-April 27, 2016
- 1100 block of Bank Street-May 6, 2016
- 1900 block of Ogilvie Road-May 12, 2016
- 200 block of Brittany Drive-April 9-10, 2016
- 2400 block of Riverside Drive-April 15, 2016
- 200 block of Montreal Road-Apr 26, 2016
- 2100 block of Bank Street-April 27, 2016
- 1400 block of Michael Street-April 28, 2016
- Somerset St W/MacDonald Street-May 3, 2016
- 2100 block of Bank Street-May 4, 2016
- Trim Road/South Frontage-May 4, 2016
- 1000 block of Kristin Way-May 11, 2016
- 1800 block of Baseline Road-May 12, 2016
As a result of the investigation, Clint BITTLE, 37 years old of Ottawa, is charged with the following offences:
- Five (5) counts of robbery
- One (1) count attempt to commit an indictable offence (robbery)
- Five (5) counts of wearing a disguise
- Six (6) counts of possession of property obtained by crime not exceeding $5000
- Seven (7) counts of possession of break-in instrument
- Six (6) counts of theft under $5000
- One (1) count of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
- One (1) count of Failure to Stop for Police
BITTLE has been in custody on an unrelated matter since mid May. He will appear in court on these charges on September 16, 2016.