SIU Investigating After Man Falls From Balcony in Ottawa
Case Number: 16-OCD-245
Mississauga, ON (24 September, 2016) —
- At approximately 12:45 p.m. on Saturday, September 24, 2016, Ottawa Police Service officers responded to an apartment building at 1300 McWatters Street.
- Officers arrived at a unit and knocked on the door.
- A short time later, a man fell from the unit’s balcony.
- He was later pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid