Public Safety Alert, Cryptocurrency Fraud
Tuesday, June 5, 2018 – 10:32 AM
The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of the following telephone Fraud scheme.
It is reported that:
– a business received telephone calls from people indicating that they are Toronto Hydro technicians
– they used “call-display spoofing” technology, which meant the phone number for Toronto Hydro was displayed on the complainant’s call display, even though it was not Toronto Hydro calling
– the business was advised that they were required to pay more for their hydro bill and a technician would turn off the power to the business within thirty minutes if payment was not made to the nearest cryptocurrency (Bitcoin) machine
– the business deposited money to a cryptocurrency machine
– the people then demanded more money
Cryptocurrency transactions are encrypted and cannot be reversed. No utility company will demand payment via cryptocurrency.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5200,