Cornwall, ON – As a result of an ongoing investigation by the Cornwall Police Service (CPS) Street Crime Unit, two men have been arrested and charged in relation to drug trafficking in the City of Cornwall. On August 27th, 2019, members of the Street Crime Unit conducted a traffic stop on a motor vehicle and located a significant quantity of drugs, including heroin, cocaine, crack cocaine, speed pills, and crystal meth. Police also located a loaded handgun, in addition to a quantity of Canadian currency.
The seized currency and drugs are estimated to be a combined street value of over $22,000.00.
As a result of the investigation, two individuals were taken into custody. Tyler Meehan, 22, and Tanner West, 27, both of Ottawa, were charged with the following:
• Possession for the purpose of trafficking cocaine
• Possession for the purpose of trafficking crack cocaine
• Possession for the purpose of trafficking heroin
• Possession for the purpose of trafficking crystal methamphetamine
• Possession for the purpose of trafficking methamphetamine
• Possession of a prohibited device obtained by crime
• Possession of ammunition obtained by crime
• Possession of prohibited firearm
• Possession of prohibited ammunition
• Possession of a loaded prohibited firearm
• Occupant of a motor vehicle knowing there was a prohibited device
• Occupant of a motor vehicle knowing there was prohibited ammunition
• Knowledge of unauthorized possession of a firearm
• Unauthorized possession of a firearm
• Carry a concealed prohibited device
• Carry concealed prohibited ammunition
• Possession of a prohibited device for a dangerous purpose
• Possession of ammunition for a dangerous purpose
• Breach of firearms regulation for handling a firearm x 2
• Careless storage of a firearm
• Careless storage of ammunition
• Transport a firearm in a careless manner
• Transport ammunition in a careless manner
• Possession of property obtained by crime under $5000
Tanner West was also charged with three counts of breach of recognizance for possessing a weapon, possessing drugs, and possessing drug trafficking equipment. Tyler Meehan was also charged with breach of prohibition order. Both men were charged accordingly and held for a bail hearing.
The CPS is working diligently to combat drug trafficking and distribution in the City of Cornwall and would like to remind residents about the dangers of using and selling illicit drugs.