PROTEST ACTIVITY IN ONTARIO
10 Individuals Arrested and Charged
(SMITHS FALLS, ON) – On February 24, 2020, shortly after 8:00 a.m., the OPP notified demonstrators near Tyendinaga that an injunction regarding barriers to the rail line would be enforced. Demonstrators were encouraged to leave the site and advised that enforcement could involve arrests for those who fail to comply.
When faced with aggressive actions by some individuals, officers responded with a minimal use of force to facilitate the arrests and maintain officer safety. One individual was taken to hospital with a minor injury, was treated and released.
During the police operation 10 individuals were arrested and charged:
· Aaron MARACLE, age 36 of Ottawa, Ontario
· Corey Jay JOCKO, age 33 of Akwesasne, Ontario
· Tommy GILL, age 34 of Odanak, Quebec
· Harley Moses DAVID, age 31 of Akwesasne, Ontario
· Trevor SPENCER, age 45 of Belleville, Ontario
· Harry Joseph BENEDICT, age 30 of Akwesasne, Ontario
· Nicholas KOLBASOOK, age 25 of Akwesasne, Ontario
· Nathan STRONGITHARM, age 34 of No fixed address
· Jacob SHARPE, age 24 of Tyendinaga Township, Ontario
· Stewart AMERICANHORSE, age 43 of Ohsweken, Ontario
Each is charged with:
· Mischief Over $5000 – Criminal Code (CC) Sec. 430(3)
· Disobey a Court Order – CC Sec. 127,
· Enter land where line work situated – Railway Safety Act – Sec. 26.1
KOLBASOOK, STRONGITHARM and SHARPE are also charged with Resist Arrest – CC Sec. 129(a). AMERICANHORSE is also charged with Obstruct Police – CC 129(a).
All of the accused have been released on conditions and are scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Napanee on March 24, 2020.
Investigation into protest activities is ongoing and the OPP will continue to engage in dialogue, with a reasoned and tempered approach, and proper use of police discretion.