Cornwall ON – This year the Cornwall Ontario Chamber of Commerce was soliciting more business people to take the bit and run for City Council. Mike Bedard must’ve been listening as he decided to take some time from his company, Roys Pools, and run for council. He provided us with some information about him and his platform.
Platform ItemsEmployment Retention & Creation
- Attract new employers
- Award city contracts to local businesses before out of town firms
- Improve our highway presence
- Improve the image and relationships between city staff, citizens and businesses with regards to Planning and Building Permits
- Adopt “greener” standards and attract “greener” businesses to our city.
- Ensure equality and consistency when adopting or approving policies that effect the competitive nature of our economy.
- Support decentralizing government employment to Cornwall
- Reduce residential and commercial property taxes by:
- Eliminating unneeded spending on consultants
- Outsourcing services
- Increasing the population through employment creation which will reduce the cost per home
- Promote the City of Cornwall and its citizens to our youth in an effeort to eliminate the negative opinions such as; “ You must leave Cornwall to become successful!”
- Support the creation of new University programs
- Promote and Expand our Parks and Recreation Services
- Allow for the youth of our city to have an active voice within city council
- Waterfront Development
- Create a museum and arts building
- Maintain our Bilingual Culture
- Create new affordable housing complexes
- Create new long-term care facilities
- Support “Not for Profit” organizations
- Attract and Retain Medical Professionals and Services
The following is a list of responses to the questions that are posted on the Cornwall Chamber of Commerce’s Candidates Profile section.
- Why do you want to be Councilor for the City of Cornwall?
“I want to become a Councilor for the City of Cornwall because I believe that my abilities as a leader will prove instrumental in guiding Cornwall into an era of prosperity and help our city find a new sense of pride! I want to desperately change the mindset of our citizens that; “You must move out of Cornwall if you wish to become successful or to obtain opportunities!” Cornwall is full of untapped potential that must be realized now!”
- What do you believe the role of the Councilor to be?
“I believe the role of a councilor is to ensure that all of our citizens needs are met through spearheading improvement initiatives, providing groundbreaking service to potential investors, becoming a forerunner in initiating environmentally friendly solutions and a trailblazer for the retention and protection of our youth, workforce and senior citizens!”
- In your view, what is the most important issue facing the City over the next three years and how would you address the issue?
“The most important issue facing Cornwall within the next three years is the Seaway international bridge and location of the customs facility. Even though, this may be a federal issue it is extremely important to the future success of the Cornwall economy. My main priority would be to ensure that our local opinion and voice be heard and that senior levels of government pay close attention to our requests.
In my view the most important issue facing the City of Cornwall over the next three years, which I can become more involved with at a front line level, will be the health care options for our senior citizens! The baby boomer generation will reach the ages of between 47 and 66 years of age in 2011 and we must ensure that such a large part of our population is cared for through quality affordable housing and compassionate long-term care facilities!”
- What would you do to competitively position Cornwall with respect to attracting new business?
“I would work with administration, fellow councilors and the community to ensure that our Department of Planning, Parks and Recreation become the most efficient and user friendly experience; as compared to other communities! This department is responsible for Planning, Building Permits, By-Law Enforcement, Parks and Recreation; which I believe to be the pillars of a fruitful municipality. All the divisions listed can either attract or repel domestic and foreign investors! It is vital to ensure its operation is the finest of all! I would also like to see our highway presence improved through enhanced signage.
I would also like the entrances become more visibly appealing to vehicles using the 401 Highway at its furthest Eastern (Boundary Rd.) and Western (Tollgate Rd.) entrance/exits! Let’s let people know that we are here and that we have a lot to offer by advertising along our busiest corridors!”
- What three key strengths do you believe you can bring to the Council Chamber?
“1. Creativity – I am the youngest candidate and would like to see new ideas be passed around council table and add alternative points of view that may be absent due to the lack representation from different demographics!
2. Professionalism – I am a local business owner and an accounting graduate! I was awarded the President’s List from St. Lawrence College for obtaining the highest GPA in my discipline Business Administration Accounting. I understand through the ownership of my own business that spending more money does not guarantee satisfactory results and thus I will be more than capable of measuring cost vs. reward since I possess experience in this area!
3. Leadership – I have led and have strived to be the best my entire life. My only goal in life is to ensure everyone is proud of me! I will bring this quality to council and will not sleep soundly until our image and council members have clearly set forth a precise plan of action. I will also ensure to have set time lines to adhere to our plan and hold the necessary people/s responsible for our failure and success. I will try to ensure everyone is aware of what is and isn’t being done and for which reasons!
I have garnered many athletic awards and personal successes due to my obsessive nature that allows me to strive for perfection and reach goals some only dream of……..my new dream is to see Cornwall become a developers dream!”
So there you have it Cornwall. What do you think?