SIU Investigating Belleville Fatal Fall
Case Number: 16-OCD-055
Mississauga, ON (28 February, 2016) —
- Just before 7:00 p.m. on February 27, Belleville Police responded to a disturbance call at an apartment building at 99 Sidney Street.
- There, officers encountered two men.
- During the interaction, one of the men fell from a 9th floor window.
- He was pronounced dead at Belleville General Hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.