Ask Captain Dan! Ask Your Questions About Flying – Pilot Licences – June 5, 2011

Toronto ON – Pilot Dan Baz is answering your flying questions here on the Cornwall Free News.

If you have a question about flying you can email Captain Dan or post below.


Are there levels of flying licenses similar to Ontario vehicle drivers graduated licenses? Are theyprovincial or federal? Question posted by Eric


Aviation is federally regulated by Transport Canada. There are several levels of Pilot Licenses. Initiallyyou may qualify for Recreational Pilot License. This license has several restrictions, for example, in afour seat airplane you can carry only one passenger. With further training, an examination and a flighttest, you can qualify for a Private Pilot License, and have the restrictions removed.

On the professional side there are also several levels of licenses. A Commercial Pilot License allows youto fly for hire in small airplanes. To fly big jetliners a pilot must have an Airline Transport Pilot License.

Have a question for the Captain ?  Send it to Captain Dan Baz Every week a question from the readers will be selected and answer posted in this column.

A bit more about Captain Dan:

“Captain Dan Baz enrolled in Flight School at the age of 16.

He has completed studies in Aircraft Engineering and Master of Business Administration. He has been at the controls of many different types of aircraft, from single engine Cessnas to large intercontinental jets on global routes.

Over the last four decades he has flown thousands of hours up in the blue sky.”

Best Western



Leave a Reply