Update: SIU Lays Charges against Chatham-Kent Police Service Officer
Case Number: 16-OSA-214
Mississauga, ONTARIO – The Director of the Special Investigations Unit, Tony Loparco, has caused charges to be laid against a Chatham-Kent Police Service (CKPS) officer in relation to an incident that occurred in May of 2013.
- One count of sexual assault, contrary to s. 271; and
- One count of breach of trust by public officer, contrary to s. 122.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Since you’re here …
… we’ve got a small favour to ask. More people are reading the Cornwall Free News than ever, but far fewer are paying for it.
Advertising revenues across media are falling fast. And unlike some other news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism open to all. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. CFN’s independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.
If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure. Please click the donate button below.