Cornwall Ontario – Still under a cloud from the Collin Fitzgerald incidents, the Morrisburg OPP detachment has the SIU investigating after a shooting Saturday afternoon. Speculation is that at least one civilian was hit.
ALTERCATION OUTSIDE OPP DETACHMENT
SIU Invokes Mandate
(MORRISBURG, ON) – On December 23, 2017, at 11:07 a.m., a member from the Morrisburg Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) was involved in an altercation with an adult male outside of the Morrisburg OPP Detachment.
During the altercation the adult male sustained fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene. The officer is being treated for undetermined injuries.
The OPP has notified the province’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) which has invoked its mandate. As a result, the OPP will not be able to provide any further information. Any other inquiries should be directed to SIU Communications at (416) 622-2342.
We’re waiting for some information from Monica Hudon of the SIU.
SIU investigating fatal police-involved shooting at Morrisburg OPP detachment. More information to come. ^MH
— SIU (@SIUOntario) December 23, 2017
We will update as any info comes in.
If you see news happen email us your video or photos to email@example.com.
16:49 UPDATE FROM SIU
SIU Investigating Fatal Police-Involved Shooting at OPP Detachment in Morrisburg
Case Number: 17-PFD-373
Mississauga, ON (23 December, 2017) —
- Around noon on Saturday, December 23, 2017, a man entered the OPP detachment located at 6 Fifth Street West.
- There was an interaction between the man and officers and one of the officers discharged a firearm.
- The man was struck. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.