SIU Investigating Man’s Death in Port Hope
Case Number: 18-OOD-184
Mississauga, ON (18 June, 2018) —
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 48-year-old man in Port Hope.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Shortly before midnight on June 17, 2018, Port Hope Police Service officers responded to a medical assistance call at a residence in the County Road 2 and Marsh Road area.
- Upon arrival, officers commenced CPR on a man and administered naloxone to him.
- Emergency Medical Services arrived and the man was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
At this time, two investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.