Cornwall Ontario – Since the CCPS stopped issuing media releases and just posted them to their website there has been a lot less info released to the public.
From a stolen submachine gun from the Armoury to an incident in the parking lot of the Best Western that the public only found out about after the SIU released that they were dropping its investigation we in the media almost have to do our own digging to find out basic info.
This newspaper achieved a teeny success when the CCPS agreed to give out daily call amounts, but have refused to give out the breakdowns of said calls like the Kingston Police do and the SD&G OPP do.
Apparently a Cornwall Community Police Cruiser hit a cyclist on Friday. There was nothing on their social media. We only found out about it after the news was called in by a viewer who heard it on Ottawa radio.
Sure enough here is the SIU release. Isn’t it about time that the CCPS disclosed more info the media and public? The incident happened during business hours on Friday so surely there was more than enough opportunity to publish to the CCPS media page or social media?
SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Collision Between Bicycle and Police Vehicle in Cornwall
Case Number: 18-OVI-226
Mississauga, ON (29 July, 2018) —
- At approximately 2:30 p.m. on July 27, 2018, the man was riding his bike eastbound on Second Street East in the bike lane. An unmarked police SUV was traveling in the same direction.
- When the police vehicle proceeded to turned right onto Millville Avenue, it became involved in a collision with the cyclist.
- The cyclist was taken to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.