APRIL 20, 2021 – Members of the Leeds County Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) arrested three people after a driver fled from a traffic stop.
On April 17, 2021 at about 4:45 a.m., an officer from the Thousand Islands office was conducting general patrol. While at the intersection of County Road 3 and County Road 33 the officer observed a vehicle with no rear license plate. A traffic stop was initiated but the driver and occupants fled the area in the vehicle. A short while later officers received a complaint from a member of the public reporting a suspicious vehicle, matching the description on Lower Oak Leaf Road, east of Lyndhurst. The vehicle was located and all three occupants were arrested. Testing by a Drug Recognition Evaluator Officer was conducted on the driver.
Joshua PERO, 30 years old from Kingston was charged with:
• Dangerous operation – Criminal Code 320.17
• Flight from peace officer – Criminal Code 320.13(1)
• Failure to comply with undertaking – Criminal Code 145(4)(a)
• Operation while impaired, alcohol and drugs – Criminal Code 320.14(1)(a)
• Resist a peace officer – Criminal Code 129(a)
• Possession of a schedule I substance, methamphetamine – Controlled Drugs and Substances Act 4(1)
The accused was held for bail.
Two occupants from Kingston were also charged; a 36 year old was charged under the Highway Traffic Act and a 20 year old under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. Both were released and scheduled to appear in court at a later date.