hudak angryCFN – Did NDP leader Andrea Horwath agree to call an election just to get rid of Tim Hudak?   Polling is showing very little over all movement.

On Eric Grenier’s Threehundredeight.com support shows that the NDP really are not going to improve in spite of a scandal plagued Liberal government under Premier Kathleen Wynne and her predecessor Dalton McGuinty and the brutally ugly campaign led by Tim Hudak.

I mean, it’s one thing to tell your close supporters you’ll chop 100,000 civil service jobs, but another to trumpet it.  You just created 100,000 guaranteed votes against you not counting their friends and families.  And aren’t some of those civil servants Conservative voters too?

Being an economist and not being good with numbers doesn’t inspire your own troops either.    While most in Ontario would agree the scandals were bad and costly, and many even would agree that the Civil service needs to be pruned and costs need to be reigned in and controlled some of the remedies espoused will most likely end up with Mr. Hudak being bounced by his party after losing another election.

And frankly if you can’t beat this Liberal government you should not be a party leader.   The PC’s do seem like a divided house with hard core rural Conservatives not really meshing with the Urban Blue.

Ms Horwath’s failure to gain with her competition really is a failure for her leadership and party as well.  It should be interesting to see if hard line old school dippers keep the faith if she doesn’t pick up her numbers?

Short of some miraculous new scandal or change during the debates Premier Wynne will be at the help of another NDP supported minority government.

Locally Prescott Russell’s Liberal MPP Grant Crack might just hang on; but in Cornwall the Liberals are sliding towards third place.

facebook currier & hart

(Photo:Facebook)

There’s a bit of irony here in SD&G as MPP McDonell is the Critic for Municipal Affairs and  has as a worker that he personally thanked, South Stormont Deputy Mayor Tammy Hart who was dinged not once, but twice, by Integrity Commissioner Robert Swayze for multiple offences.  Mr. McDonell is expected to pull in  over 70% of the votes on election day for the riding.

Fantastic day campaigning in Long Sault, Avonmore and Chrysler. I can’t thank the many many volunteers enough who are working with me! I truly appreciate it. Thanks @Tammy Hart and Rick Currier! — with Richard Currier and Tammy Hart.

(Comments and opinions of Editorials, Letters to the Editor, and comments from readers are purely their own and don’t necessarily reflect those of the owners of this site, their staff, or sponsors.)

Comment policy reminder

CFN suggests you post comments using your real name. If you wish to post with a pseudonym you can register that user id by emailing info@cornwallfreenews.com with your name, address, phone number and user id you wish to register.

Related Post

38 Comments on "Did Andrea Horwath Get an Election Called in Ontario Just to Get Rid of Tim Hudak? By Jamie Gilcig"

Notify of
400

jules
2 years 3 months ago

None of them are any good at all. They all look and smell the same like crap. I made my promise and I always keep my promises and in this case I will never vote ever again. I know the real truth about the entire system of government including the reality of the US that the vast majority know nothing about. No tanks.

Eric
2 years 3 months ago

I am not so sure the NDP were smart enough to try and get rid of Hudak judging by their campaign.

The PC’s have done a lousy job promoting the 100,000 jobs cut. But with 50,000 a year leaving on their own for retirement etc. reviewing each position for need except front line health / police, it should be easy to get back to the 2009 level. That’s right, the current liberals added 100,000 taxpayer funded jobs since 2009.

Furtz
2 years 3 months ago

Neither Wynne nor Horwath want to “get rid” of Hudak. He’s the gift that keeps on giving, and I’m sure they want him to stick around forever. The old Dippers who are giving Horwath grief right now are fools. Now sure isn’t the time to be attacking their leader.

Marc Pilote
2 years 3 months ago
Just wanted to comment that, for years, I would tell people if you don’t vote, you don’t have the right to complain after the fact. However this will be the fifth election where I am not casting a ballot. The reason is simple, none of the parties are giving me any reasons to vote FOR them, though they are good at giving reasons why I shouldn’t vote for the other guy. I will say Hudak comes closest to my concern and he certainly is the only party leader that seems to have a plan but I find it difficult to… Read more »
Wow!
2 years 3 months ago

I think he’s going to win. The brutality of cutting the public sector jobs is so delicious I’m salivating for a PC win.

Furtz
2 years 3 months ago

@ Marc. Yup. All kinds of real economists are poking holes in Hudak’s “million jobs” BS. And Hudak claims he will cut red tape by 30%! How does one measure red tape? Is it by the centimeter or kilogram? Is he talking about food inspectors? Water inspectors? Hudak is making a huge mistake by underestimating the intelligence of the voters, just like he did in the last election.

Hugger1
2 years 3 months ago

For those not voting and / or disillusioned by the three major parties there are alternatives.

Hugger1
2 years 3 months ago

With all the political promises and mud slinging the result on June 12 should be interesting.

Marc Pilote
2 years 3 months ago

Hugger: Would you tell me what the options are please? None of the parties are worth voting for, what is left?

Only thing I can think of is another option on the ballot marked “None of the Above.” In my perfect world, if that gets most of the votes there should be no one elected until a run-off is held. Not likely to happen, but it’s a thought..:)

Eric
2 years 3 months ago

A politician says something and you believe him or her?
Anyway, cheaper electricity / cheaper payroll taxes alone / modernize trades apprenticeships will be a more attractive climate for a business to expand and hire I would think.

Furtz, check the PC website, it says a million jobs is ambitious, but even if we come close, is that not better?

Eric
2 years 3 months ago
Marc Pilote – Ontario liberal green energy plan promised how many jobs? How many materialized? “When ex-premier Dalton McGuinty introduced his Green Energy Act in 2009, he said it would create 50,000 jobs in Ontario by the end of 2012.” Now the Liberals say their Green Energy Act has produced only 31,000 jobs up to mid-2013, not the 50,000 jobs by the end of 2012 promised in 2009. From the auditor-general’s report in 2011, we can safely conclude most of those 31,000 jobs are temporary, lasting one to three years. “But even verifying that these reported 31,000 jobs are real… Read more »
Marc Pilote
2 years 3 months ago

Eric: Your last two posts prove my point — there is nothing worth voting for so why bother? Show me something to vote FOR and I will consider it. Otherwise, I want politicians to stop giving me the same old BS, no matter which party is shovelling it.

Marc Pilote
Marc Pilote
2 years 3 months ago
Eric: I note too that you cite that source of complete, balanced and fair news, The Toronto Sun, to make your point. LOL…..in that case I will direct you to the Toronto Star, since the Star is known to be just as complete, balanced and fair. Nothing in either paper or anywhere in the media will give you the all the facts because they are all biased. However I will say lowly CFN at this point doesn’t seem to have a bias and actually does allow for discussion and disagreement, something I find truly refreshing. Just wonder how long that… Read more »
Hugger1
Hugger1
2 years 3 months ago

@Marc Pilote: Green Party of Ontario, Ontario Libertarian Party or a spoiled ballot.

Eric
2 years 3 months ago
No one party is all things to all people and we have 20 listed right now for this election. If only a few people voted, we could end up with the Communist party, Northern Ontario Heritage Party, or the Party for Special Needs making rules that would affect your life. Vote or not, your choice. The only way things will change is when enough of us get together and DEMAND BETTER. The right to vote is a fundamental democratic right that is protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It is the cornerstone of democracy. When we vote,… Read more »
Eric
2 years 3 months ago

Marc, all of the papers are somewhat careful about defamation, libel(written) and slander(more for spoken or video), and one has to judge what is written for grains of truth. I get the impression some people would rather not do any research on their own, get involved to direct opinion, just to justify why they choose to do nothing.

Marc Pilote
2 years 3 months ago
Hi Eric. Believe it or not I agree with every word in your last post. For the record I am 62 but I still say I will not vote because there is nothing on offer that I can vote FOR. Until that changes I don’t feel I need to go to the ballot box and confirm the BS politicians are offering, though I would vote if there were a “none of the above” box that was included in vote totals — something I suggested in a light way in a previous post. I suggest the falloff in voting is because… Read more »
Hailey Brown

Eric
Though 50,000 may be leaving on their own you need to understand 30,0000 will return as contractors. Still reaping the monetary benefits that could better be done by the next generation who actually would pay more in taxes

Hailey Brown
2 years 3 months ago

You are not completely accurate when you say “When we vote, we choose the representatives who will make the laws and policies that govern how we live together”

When we vote we only chose the individual the party best figures will represent their platform of plan for the future.
Hudak, Howarth, Wynne all combined do not have the intellect to organize a drunk in a pub.

look at their history and qualifications, none of then has ever truly accomplished anything save for being in the right place at the right time

Hugger1
2 years 3 months ago

@Marc Pilote: A “none of the above box” is called a spoiled ballot.

Marc Pilote
2 years 3 months ago

Hugger…I agree that a spoiled ballot is an option. Please note however, that in a previous post I indicated you should be able to mark it and it should be part of the total vote count. Spoiled ballots are not officially counted. In addition, I feel if for some reason the greatest number of ballots are spoiled, there should be another election. Again, that was part of my earlier posts…:)

jules
2 years 3 months ago
Well folks we got our voting cards in the mail this morning and we tore them all up and put them in the garbage. People are only voting for a puppet who is on strings like a real dumb bell which they all are. Hailey I sure love your description of the 3 stooges the way you said that they couldn’t organize a drunk in a pub. LOL LOL. ROLF! Yes indeed you have an excellent description of all three. These jerks have absolutely no brains at all and an old saying goes “empty barrels make a lot of noise”… Read more »
jules
2 years 3 months ago
Jamie it doesn’t matter who you vote for the result is the same. I sit here laughing my head off and cursing at the same time because not one are any good. You are an intelligent man Jamie think about why these jerks are running and it isn’t for you and I and the rest here on line or anywhere else. These jerks are wanting to get themselves at the government slop trough and it would be the hell with the rest of us. There are no jobs out there and you would be shocked if you had to go… Read more »
jules
2 years 3 months ago
Jamie do you know that I wanted to spoil the ballot by appointing your “sweet little Fitzie” as the Ontario PM and believe me I was mighty tempted. You may have a good laugh or think that I lost it but believe me Jamie it has been a mighty long time where all I see are people who are there to screw the system. Everything is going up in price and going to get much worse. When we lived here in Ottawa back in the 70’s and 80’s we never heard about food banks, etc. but nowadays that is all… Read more »
Marc Pilote
2 years 3 months ago
LOL Jamie, welcome to what my position on voting was about 10-15 years ago, roughly when I was your age. The problem is that as you get older you realize that there is little difference between the parties and the only thing they do is put down the other guy, rather that telling you why you should vote for them. As I have said consistently, give me a reason to vote FOR you and I will cast a ballot. Count spoiled ballots and make their numbers matter as a sign of disgust with what is on offer and I will… Read more »
Hugger1
Hugger1
2 years 3 months ago

Jamie, I agree. That’s one thing that I was taught in civics class….if you don’t vote, then don’t complain about what or how things are being done.

jules
2 years 3 months ago
Jamie I do understand fully what you are saying and in Australia it is compulsory to vote and it is a country like our Canada. I have heard rumors that with the time it will be compulsory to vote in Canada as well as the US and elsewhere and you and I know very well what that means. We are really not free at all my dear man believe me we are not free. We are given certain privileges by the global elite and I know all about it. In communist countries they have no choice and in some Middle… Read more »
Furtz
2 years 3 months ago

On the other hand, if you live in a riding like mine, where the same party has won for over a hundred years, voting is almost pointless. If June 12th is a sunny warm day, and I can ride my motorcycle to the voting station, I’ll do my civic duty. Otherwise, I’ll just stay home because I know my vote is like a fart in a hurricane.

jules
2 years 3 months ago
Jamie, Furtz and folks in the riding that I live in Alta Vista here in Ottawa people vote Liberal and it has been that way as long as I can remember. David McGuinty (brother of the nitwit of Ontario) who is in the federal and is also a lawyer nearby with the nitwit and lives in my riding somewhere and both of these brothers are fiberals and are voted in all the time. I tore up David McGuinty’s news letter when it came in as I usually do. Today I literally tore up my voting card and so did my… Read more »
Hugger1
2 years 3 months ago

Compulsory voting is in 22 countries, but not enforced in 14. To me compulsory voting is very undemocratic, bordering on being a socialist republic. I can’t see it ever being enacted as a law in either Canada or the U.S.A.

David Oldham
2 years 3 months ago
Hailey I would disagree with your statement “we only choose the individual the party…”. We vote only for the party. End of story. Liberal voters endorsed McGuinty but ended up with Wynne and we all ended up on wrong end. This is the Canadian way. We are a rather apathetic lot comprised of an unfortunate majority of uniformed voters struggling with a staggering debt level soon to get a whole lot worse. I do agree with your opinion of the current leadership talent pool(not). Wynne is promising to do what they could have been doing in last ten years, right.… Read more »
Furtz
2 years 3 months ago

David, I think you have me confused with someone else who said that Ontario would burn because we have a gay premier.

Hugger1
2 years 3 months ago

Had a bad Premier? Seems we’ve had bad Premiers for a very long time. Will it change? I highly doubt it.

wpDiscuz