Cornwall ON – The Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police in partnership with the Insurance Bureau of Canada and Mac’s Convenience Store are launching the second annual “Lock it or Lose it” program aimed at reducing thefts of vehicles and its’ contents. The Cornwall Community Police Service and police officers throughout Ontario will examine parked vehicles to confirm they are locked and that no valuables have been left in plain view. The officers will hand out a pamphlet of information to owners’ of vehicles in order to educate on these crimes. This crime reduction initiative will remind vehicle owners of the dangers of leaving vehicles unlocked or valuables in plain view.
A professional can steal your vehicle in just 30 seconds. A vehicle with an unlocked door or an open window is an easy target. Protect your vehicle from theft. Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and pocket the keys when you park your car. Park in a well-lit area and never leave valuables in plain view.
Here are some auto theft protection tips:
– Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and pocket the key.
– Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running.
– If you have a garage, use it and lock the door as well as your vehicle.
– Never leave your car keys in plain view or in an easily accessible area.
– Keep your vehicle registration certificate and proof of insurance on you at all times. Don’t leave these documents in
your glove compartment.
– Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
– Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view. Put them in the trunk.
– Give only your ignition key to a parking lot attendant. Keep all other keys with you.
– Inform our service if you see vehicles or vehicle-related activities that look suspicious.