Dirty Town Under a Crooked Bridge Second Hot Test Cover by Williamstown Artist Jay Schwartz!  Whatcha think? July 21, 2011

Cornwall ON –  Jay Schwartz just turned in the 2nd official test cover for my new novel, Dirty Town Under a Crooked Bridge which comes out on Amazon Kindle and other fine E- Book retailers  just in time for Christmas!  Due to demand and interest I am very proud to announce that we will be doing a very limited print run of 100 signed and numbered copies with proceeds going to a local charity.   More to come on that closer to show time!

I am asking you, our intelligent, artistic, and clever viewers to share your opinion of this new cover.

Here is the first one for comparison:

Someone must’ve liked the first cover as artist Jay Schwartz received a query to do another book after we released the first story.    Jay is a local artist that works from Williamstown.  He’s the author of the Throwayz’ comic strip which we’ve featured here on The Cornwall Free News.

Please post your comments below and we may have a surprise for some of you that post 🙂

JL Computers

17 Responses to "Dirty Town Under a Crooked Bridge Second Hot Test Cover by Williamstown Artist Jay Schwartz! Whatcha think? July 21, 2011"

1. Jason   July 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I like the first one better. the one in colour

2. admin   July 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Jason they are both in colour?

3. Furtz   July 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I vote for the one without the white picket fence.

4. Linda   July 21, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Personally I’d prefer the first one if the white picket fence wasn’t there. If left as is I’d probably have to pick the second one but all around great job 🙂 Thanks

5. Jerry   July 21, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I much prefer the first one. It is simpler and the font is easier to read.

6. Reg   July 22, 2011 at 8:44 AM

So the first cover looks like a murder mystery (with the man falling off the bridge) and the second cover looks like a depression era Grapes of Wrath type epic.

What is your intention?

7. admin   July 22, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Hi Reg,

We’re experimenting with the covers at this point and refining the themes.

8. Jacqueline   July 22, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Do not like either of the fonts. (would definitely stay away from a script typeface) The picket fence gives me the impression of “A Dirty Town” hiding behind the facade of an ideal “white picket fenced community”. Like both of the illustrations….I might consider one broken or crooked rail in the fence to indicate a crack in the Armour so to speak. Nice work Jay. Hope this opportunity brings about many others.

9. Jacqueline   July 22, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I am attracted to the saturated, bright colour treatment of the picket fence cover. Beautiful.

10. PJR   July 22, 2011 at 11:25 AM

First, congratulations Jamie and Jay!

Agree with Jacqueline on fonts. Otherwise–and without knowing what the novel’s about (murder mystery? as Reg wonders)–prefer first with picket fence as ironic comment on menacing inferno-like tones of bridge and background. Second cover too busy, though with wonderful Chagallesque colours.

11. Yenta   July 22, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Dirty Town Under A Crooked Bridge sounds like an expose on crooked politicians etc.

12. Prof. Adam Baulm   July 22, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Since you do ask. The top cover is the better cover. It’s fine and is reminiscent of a forties pulp cover and I mean that in a nice way. The title in this case really has to say by – author’s name. As it is now, since the cover is so fine, it would be natural that the cover artist credit is Jamie. The font should be wider with a thicker outline. Not the time to with hold vanity. The colours are right but the darker blue portion of the sky need to bleed/shade a bit better into the next shade of tourquoise. (That last part is probably a function of the computer and not the original.) Hope this helps.

13. Tammy A. Hart says:   July 22, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I like the first one, Jamie.

14. Furtz   July 22, 2011 at 6:09 PM

The first one looks like a passenger train is about to launch off a roller-coaster. It’s a cool drawing/painting, but not as gritty as the second one. For sure, the fence should go if the second one is chosen. I really like the little shack with the smoke coming out of the chimney. Might not go over well with Linda Baker Beaudin but what the hell. Where’s A. Y. Jackson or Tom Thomson when you need them?

15. Furtz   July 22, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Meant to say that the fence should go if the FIRST one is chosen….

16. gary w. samler   July 23, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I also prefer the first cover more.

17. Mike Bedard   July 25, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Personally, I think the newest version is more professional looking and the body falling off the bridge draws more attention than the shack under the bridge……..plus I think it looks more realistic!