Cornwall ON –    We all can make mistakes and I wish to fully and completely apologize without reserve to the many viewers, partners, and sponsors of The Cornwall Free News.   Recently a comment was made on the site that had language which I even find offensive.

While I could type reasons and point out that we’ve had over 10,000 comments on this site without much issue those would only be excuses.

Ultimately while Freedom of speech is important and our policy is that we don’t like to edit people’s words; simply have a comment go through or not, in this case I failed and I apologize and take full responsibility for any distress caused to anyone that read the offensive words or terms.

Freedom of speech is important, but with all freedoms come responsibility.   The Cornwall Free News is a family newspaper.  True at times a dysfunctional one, but still today and always, will be a family paper.

Jamie Gilcig – Editor – The Cornwall Free News.

Advertise with Cornwall Free News

9 Responses to "I apologize fully and completely to our Viewers, Partners, and Sponsors by Jamie Gilcig – August 4, 2011 – Cornwall Ontario"

1. Cornwallgal84   August 4, 2011 at 2:45 PM

It’s funny you say freedom of speech is important yet you did not post my comment on your August first editorial. hmm

2. admin   August 4, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Your comment wasn’t posted because it violated our policy on posting. It’s pretty simple.

3. Furtz   August 4, 2011 at 3:14 PM

It must have been quite the comment, Jamie. Was it dirty language? Slander? Personal attack?

4. admin   August 4, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Furtz as the apology states I removed it for foul language. We’ve had over 10,000 comments published on the site and I missed one which caused people some discomfort and distress which I regret and apologize for.

5. Furtz   August 4, 2011 at 3:27 PM

One out of ten thousand isn’t a bad record. You are doing a fine job in that regard, even blocking some of my comments. 🙂

6. admin   August 4, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Furtz our spam filter catches a few occasionally. I just think in life we all should be more accountable. If more people learned to try and fix things when they make an error the world would be a better place. There’s nothing wrong with apologizing when you’re wrong and moving forward. I wish a few people around here would learn that.

7. Furtz   August 4, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Nobody’s perfect…well maybe except for me….and Jesus.

8. Miss Steak   August 4, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Good stuff! Bravo to you.

9. Jason   August 4, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Replace the default comments with Facebook connect comments… that’ll keep people accountable and boost traffic too!