OCTOBER 15, 2020 – Members of the Leeds County and Grenville Detachments of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) located and charged a driver after a vehicle failed to remain at the scene of a collision.
On October 14, 2020 at about 5:35 p.m. Grenville officers responded to single vehicle collision near Water Street and Edward Street in Prescott. A crane was observed striking a power line, trees and posts surrounding a water fountain and fleeing the area.
The crane operator drove westbound on Highway 401, near Brockville followed by an accompanying vehicle. Both vehicles were stopped by police for investigation.
Matthew HINTON, 62 years old of Collingwood, Ontario was arrested and charged with:
• Operation while impaired – Criminal Code 320.14(1)(a)
Under the Highway Traffic Act:
• Fail to remain
• Drive motor vehicle , no plate
• Drive motor vehicle, not equipped with an ignition interlock device
• Fail to keep log book
• Drive commercial motor vehicle – no valid CVOR certificate
• Driver commercial motor vehicle – improper licence
Furthermore, the company was charged with:
• Permit person with improper licence to driver commercial motor vehicle
• Permit operation of vehicle with air brakes- no endorsement on licence
• Permit person to drive commercial motor vehicle not in accordance with the regulations
• Operate commercial motor vehicle – no valid CVOR certificate
The driver of the accompanying vehicle was charged under the Highway Traffic Act with:
• Class G1 licence holder – drive on prohibited highway
• Class G1 licence holder – unaccompanied by qualified driver
• Class G1 licence holder
• Novice driver – B.A.C above zero
The accused was released and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Brockville at a future date.