weedMarijuana is not new to anyone here in Cornwall or for that matter just about anywhere else.

We live in times where bizarre laws are changing and the public is pushing hard for that change.

In Colorado and Washington State Marijuana is now bringing in hard cash into the public purse via taxes rather than bleeding it dry in legal, court, and policing fees.

Here in Canada we have a trade war with US and other producers.   For example Marc Emery, the Prince of Pot was sent to spend emeryAfive years in prison in the US for crimes that he wasn’t charged with in Canada.  He runs Cannabis Culture with his wife Jodie.  It’s a company that provided employment and paid taxes.  Because of what many consider entrapment Mr. Emery has sat for nearly his full term over the sale of seeds to Americans.

Utter insanity.

In nearby Smiths Falls the former Hershey Chocolate factory has become a facility for Medical Marijuana.   Why not have a facility in Cornwall?  With our high police budget does it make sense for officers to be charging people with a single joint or small amount of weed in Cornwall?

jt1With many polls indicating that Justin Trudeau may be our next PM, and who has admitted to hitting a fatty, and Toronto Mayor Rob Ford who while more famous for Crack, has also enjoyed the magical herb; I think we need to review the situation and perhaps ask our police force to lay down when it comes to charging casual users or simply ticket them where legally applicable; even if it means creating a by-law.

We need to focus our critical policing dollars on real crime.

We talk about youth retention and we talk about attracting more young people.  These are factors in doing this.    Marijuana is not so much a criminal or law enforcement issue; it’s an economic one.

JG Election 300x250-02  TESTI’m hoping that this will be one of the issues that we talk about during this election and I’m hoping that when elected mayor that we can make it a ballot question for 2018 or sooner.

Related Post

42 Comments on "It’s time to change how Cornwall Polices Marijuana – Election Blog by Jamie Gilcig"

Notify of
400

Hugger1
2 years 4 months ago

I don’t know if anything can be done. The laws have to be changed at the federal and provincial levels first before anything can be done locally.

jules
2 years 4 months ago
Jamie I don’t agree with taking marijuana or any other drug at all. Drugs just like alcohol would be a terrible problem on the people and it would impoverish the people in Cornwall instead of putting food on the table they would go and smoke weed and neglect their children. The little people are not like Justin Trudeau with a silver or gold spoon in his mouth and all the perks but are just struggling to survive. There is an actor in the US always in jail by the name of Chi Chi Chung or something like that because of… Read more »
Mary Anne Pankhurst
2 years 4 months ago

The laws have just changed, and Health Canada projects the numbers of medical marijuana users will go from 40 thousand to 450 thousand within 10 yrs.

But will doctors prescribe without evidence and dosage ranging studies? These are some of the very interesting issues discussed in the CBC blog written by Dr. Brian Goldman: http://www.cbc.ca/whitecoat/blog/2014/04/07/when-medicine-meets-politics/

jules
2 years 4 months ago
Picture this of someone who has smoked a joint and goes behind the wheel of a car and kills someone. What kind of laws are these? The way people drive these days you wonder if they are smoking something or other. Here in Ottawa they cut you off and wind in and out of the lanes and they don’t look around to see if someone is behind them or wherever. The people cannot even walk without running into someone or with their shopping carts I the stores. I understand fully well of medical marijuana to help very sick people help… Read more »
Furtz
2 years 4 months ago

Are you serious Jamie? The asinine laws re the beloved weed are made in Ottawa. Every police officer in Canada is sworn to enforce the law.

Furtz
2 years 4 months ago

Are you saying that the cops can pick and choose which laws they enforce? They have a bit of discretion, but not much.
You are way out there on this one.

Trevor
2 years 4 months ago
A city bylaw legalizing simple possession of pot, may send a token message to higher levels of government but that is all it will do. The governments see this as a chance to tax something else and increase their revenues, thus we get the legalized and licensed grow ops that will be starting or have recently started.The result will be no different then the illegal trade in contraband cigarettes or the black market trade in “legal” medications such as oxycontin. In other words, the government will not put down this potential cash cow of regulating medical pot. If pot were… Read more »
Trevor

Jamie,
Regarding fluidity of laws…You are absolutely right. I lived in North Vancouver some years ago. Marc Emery was frequently in the news at that time. In any case, It was not uncommon to hear incidents about police officers, who after pulling over a driver or stopping someone on the street, would confiscate what was apparently small amounts of pot “for personal” use and not charge the individual.

shavluk

Excuse me

A few points

{MODERATED} To post on CFN using a pseudonym you must register by emailing us at info@cornwallfreenews.com with your name, address, phone number and user id you wish to use.

Thanks

Pastor Tom Newton
2 years 4 months ago
Admin writes -“Marijuana is not so much a criminal or law enforcement issue; it’s an economic one”. Any substance that will be abused by the masses will certainly be abused – i.e. alcohol, prescription drugs, etc. So why add another one to the list? I am not so much against legitimate medical use of marijuana, but I do stand totally against complete legalization of pot for leisure/recreational uses. We do not need another governmental controlled legalized vice allowed in our already overdosed, drugged out society. So what is the issue? Are they what admin. wrote? – “…criminal or law enforcement… Read more »
jules
2 years 4 months ago
Pastor Newton you hit the nail on the head and people who do not know history are deemed to repeat it. During the days of Noah people were celebrating and sinning just like they do today and what did God do He brought on the Great Flood. This time God is going to bring on the fire and not just in a story time fire but real burning fire where he will destroy humanity and everything on the earth and this is coming. I don’t kid anybody about any of this and it has been prophecized in the Fatima appearance… Read more »
Furtz
2 years 4 months ago

That’s too funny! ROLF, ROLF, LOL etc. So if I spark up a bat to enjoy with my Friday evening bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, some imaginary clown from two thousand years ago is gonna incinerate the planet, or at least set my hair on fire? Guess I better not do that again. I’ve been warned!

jules
2 years 4 months ago
Furtz you are too funny and so much so that I am laughing my head off and can hardly type a word without making tons of mistakes. I am red in the face like a beat or like I have been drinking with all your jokes. LOL LOL. ROLF! I know that you don’t believe a word but it is all true. Watch your hair singe and the rest of you as well. LOL LOL. We may have a barbecued Furtz on our hands. I am laughing so much that it is uncontrollable. I would say to Jamie keep the… Read more »
Furtz
2 years 4 months ago

@ Jules. I will admit that Mr. Newton comes up with some pretty funny stuff at times. I do keep a freshly charged CSA certified fire extinguisher on hand at all times. You never know when an impure thought, or pleasure of some sort, will unleash Gawd’s fury.

jules
2 years 4 months ago
I am crazy enough without any drugs. If I took anything I would be flying higher than a kite. Nobody would be able to shut me up at all no matter what. It is bad enough as is without making matters worse. Getting more serious here drugs are mighty dangerous for the health and yes even marijuana is dangerous and don’t think that it can’t be because it sure can. It is an dangerous as alcohol and tobacco. Many people will say otherwise but no this is the truth. It also leads to harder drugs and everyone starts with marijuana… Read more »
Spanner McNeil
2 years 4 months ago

On April 20th Canada will see the biggest crime spree of smoking marijuana ever along with every major city in the world including some small ones and there isn’t one dang thing you can do about it except spit and lie. When it’s legal there will be no short term memory loss as to the cruelty injured and those who advised it.

shavluk
2 years 4 months ago
I repeat Shavluk says: Your comment is awaiting moderation. April 12, 2014 at 2:21 am Excuse me A few points re emery…..he is in jail because he {MODERATED} as some one who has spent over 20 years making the real differences in canada and {MODERATED} …with harpers now hiding behind the cops he had say they only want tickets that makes 4 FOUR national mainstream political partys I alone have brought forth changes to cannabis policies ….even legal cannabis in two but also obtained and presented in the ndp who are real cowards …so I dare say I know emery… Read more »
Pastor Tom Newton
2 years 4 months ago

Anarchy and revenge is the pot smokers way according to Spanner! Such a loving,law abiding citizen. Someone you would want for a neighbor? Exo 23:2 “Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil; neither shalt thou speak in a cause to turn aside after a multitude to wrest justice”.

Spanner McNeil
2 years 4 months ago

“It’s hard to live in a land where everything you own is stolen and everything you say a lie.” James Kunen

Furtz
2 years 4 months ago

Anarchy? Seriously? I can’t imagine a bunch of people with the munchies causing the complete destruction of society.

Pastor Tom Newton
2 years 4 months ago

Why we should keep pot illegal: “Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds”.

Can’t argue with facts, right?

J.D.Bourgeois
2 years 4 months ago
A lot of opponents of cannabis legalization are what is known as “moral entrepreneurs”. Often, as seems to be the case with contributor Pastor Newton, they view a certain activity as immoral because of their firmly-held religious beliefs. They feel that they have a monopoly on the truth and that they may impose their religious convictions upon everyone. Cannabis is but one of many issues where freedom of choice and religion are in conflict. These religious types may hold any irrational thought they wish (Adam and Eve, Noah’s Ark, etc.) but they should not have the right to criminalize those… Read more »
Pastor Tom Newton
2 years 4 months ago

I guess JD you like to be ill informed. Did the important study that just came out [see link above] talked about the moral issue or a scientific/medical issue as to the hazards of smoking pot?

Furtz
2 years 4 months ago

Fox News? Seriously? LOL ROLF LOL etc….

Pastor Tom Newton
2 years 4 months ago

Furtz- Fox News did do the study, did they? I guess to you Fox news paid these ones to come up with this false study. Very unscientific, illogical, and unreasonable conclusion for a man of your times?

“A new study conducted by researchers at Northwestern and Harvard suggests even casual marijuana use can alter your brain. Dr. Breiter, a professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. What do these ones know, right Furtz.

and PS quit barking at the blood moon -“LOL ROLF LOL etc….”.

J.D.Bourgeois
2 years 4 months ago
To Pastor Tom Newton, First: Fox News is known to be biased and is the subject of ridicule. It is not recognized as a reputable news source. Second: holding a doctorate from a recognized university does not automatically make you right. Third: for every study you can find that states that cannabis is harmful, I am certain that I can find many more that say it is not. Fourth: even if it is harmful, like alcohol and tobacco most certainly are, that doesn’t mean that it should be illegal. Each individual has the right to manage his/her own behaviour as… Read more »
Pastor Tom Newton
2 years 4 months ago
A response to JD: Alcohol and tobacco are just two drugs among many that fallen, alienated from God sinners are in slaved to as the result of the “cravings” of their fallen sinful nature called in the Scriptures – the flesh, the old man, the natural man. Alcohol and tobacco are used as props to maintain one’s existence in a world effected by one’s own sinful life choices – the misery we love and what God will punish us for, as rebellion to His revealed will as set forth in the Holy Scriptures -“…for the wrath of God is revealed… Read more »
Furtz

whoremongers=homosexuals? Cool!

J.D.Bourgeois
2 years 4 months ago
To Pastor Tom Newton and all others: Thank you for responding Pastor! I researched you today on the internet and found out a lot about you. I know that you really believe what you espouse and that you truly believe that the Bible is the literal word of God. I also know that many in your community object to your views on: abortion, euthanasia, women’s rights, gay rights, cannabis, witchcraft and even rock music. Sir, you may not be stupid but you have definitely been brainwashed with an ugly form of Christianity. Christ’s main message was to love one another… Read more »
Pastor Tom Newton
2 years 4 months ago

Interesting JD, you are going to instruct me on how to be a Christian. If it wasn’t so important, it would be funny. John 8:24 “I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins”. Messiah Jesus is speaking here.

Pastor Tom Newton
2 years 3 months ago

Watters World on Denver pot rally 0420/2014. Behold our next generation to run the world:

Pastor Tom Newton
2 years 3 months ago

When it rains it pours – Marijuana use may lead to heart complications even death?

ninthvengeance
2 years 3 months ago
Pastor, you would think you would have better things to comment about than the already clinically proven cure that is this plant. Like say the CIRCLE OF NINE? The collective of priests and royalty who brutalize and massacre children of all ages in blood letting practices where even after they murder the children they chose to have intercourse with their bodies. Look it up people and get your heads out of your asses. The World leaders and local leaders are all in this together and it is astounding that they are allowed to continue. Forget Project Truth, in comparison to… Read more »
Herewego
Herewego
2 years 3 months ago
Jules and Pastor Tom Newton, I think people would benefit more from intelligent education when it comes to cannabis. To blindly spew nonsense about cannabis is just irresponsible on your part and you should educate yourself with some real information about this plant. Here are some points to consider before you break out your 1930’s reference book about the evils of weed and start typing out nonsense for people to read. #1 – Cannabis is addictive – false #2 – Cannabis leads to harder drugs – false #3 – Cannabis kills brain cells – false #4 – Consuming too much… Read more »
Furtz
2 years 3 months ago

@ Herewego. Cannabis is the root cause of every problem know to humanity, and is the reason that all human beings are sinners in need of saving. Let me explain. Back about five thousand years ago, just days after the universe was created, the devil smoked a fatty and was temporarily transformed into a talking snake. That talking snake then whispered something naughty into Eve’s ear, and everything went downhill from there.
How could you want to legalize the very substance that’s responsible for all the sin and misery endured by humanity since the beginning of time?

Herewego
2 years 3 months ago

Furtz,

I’m sure that is exactly how it went down. LMAO. I think that particular apple may have been a GMO Apple.

Furtz
2 years 3 months ago

@ Herewego. I’m not absolutely sure if that’s the way it all happened, but I think it’s pretty close. I don’t think the apple was GMO. From what I hear, the snake was a pretty smooth talker, but he didn’t work for Monsanto. Monsanto wasn’t established until 1901, at least four thousand years after the universe was created. Maybe someone will chime in, and sort this mystery out.

wpDiscuz