Cornwall Council Losing Support
Cornwall City Council could NOT do a better job of losing support from those in the community. City Council has done a wonderful job of letting down so many in the community and this year’s budgeting process is no better!
Here is a short list of those who may feel slighted and/or left wanting more from our current Council and Mayor:
- Cornwall Community Hospital – We need an MRI machine and due to the large funding initiatives brought forward for the construction and renovation of the Hospital the community could not afford to give anymore. If council would have seen that the community was going to be affected by the recession and that the government was going to soon reduce transfer payments then it could have easily have afforded to support the hospital further by donating to ensure Cornwall gets an MRI machine! I love the Benson Centre but it blows my mind to see how much we spend on a hockey arena vs. health care! …But then again nothing surprises me with this council! This council has the potential to perform anywhere in between Amazing and WTF……unfortunately I find myself saying WTF far too often!
- Language Fairness for All – Although I fully agreed with supporting the hospital and not for withdrawing or holding on to funds. Council could have communicated better and tried to find common ground and have supported both sides of the debate instead of one! Politically speaking these are very difficult times but nothing is impossible if believe and strive to achieve the goal! Sometimes getting involved behind the scenes and bringing two sides together is easier than you would have thought! However, staying neutral and doing nothing may reduce risk and work but you will be never become great unless you work harder than everyone else!
- Cornwall Free News – after creating a special bylaw stating that it would not advertise with any on-line media firm who allows anonymous post; Cornwall continued to spend money with all its current media outlets but one (The Cornwall Free News); who allowed anonymous post! Why?
Only one logical reason would explain this action, the Cornwall Free News had placed articles and posted questions that highlighted or made the community aware of certain things the Mayor and Council wanted to hide behind closed doors!
- The General Public – Council Andre Rivette won a small battle vs. the rest of council and more importantly the Mayor by proving that the Mayor was out of line when he allowed councillors to attack him personally in a closed door meeting! The general public where angered and unfortunately not a single councillor other than Mr. Rivette even addressed the public.
Why, in an effort to remain transparent, where council and the clerk not informing the public of closed door meetings? Is this not mandatory or at least shouldn’t it be if you truly want to be transparent? Was this intentional and more importantly why? Should you be ostracized for asking these questions?
Why didn’t anyone on council make an attempt to respond – ex. “Council (I) would like to thank you for attending but unfortunately we cannot discuss any details at this time. We (I) would like to ensure you that we (I) are acting accordingly and cannot answer any direct questions to protect the integrity and relationships with all of those involved! When council has further information we will provide you with as much detail as possible!”……………………………Oh, wait I forgot! You would have to care and put some effort forward to do something as frugal as a proper media release! Wait don’t we pay someone to do this? Why are we paying someone to respond for our elected municipal councillors? Do they not get paid to perform as a politician? Can we cut costs by eliminating the position?
- Leslie O’Shaughnessy – Resigned after he could NOT deal with all of the scrutiny involved with so many closed door meetings……….or so we think! We were promised a reason from Leslie a long time ago but to this day Mr. O’Shaughnessy has not released anything! I respect his decision to step away from such a regressive council but he must realize his supporters deserve answers! Good Luck Leslie and I hope eliminating the work load and stresses of the position have improved your quality of life!
- The Cornwall Community Action Group – Was formed by a leadership of Gerry Benson, Sandy Cameron, Dr. Michel Dubuc, Roy Perkins and a few others. The group claims that City Council has burdened the community with high taxes and claims that our community would benefit from a tax freeze or reduction in the tax levy. Currently we are going to see a big tax increase and despite the advertised tax rates we are paying more than the 2.9% advertise! A few years ago our average assessed home was near the $100,000 mark and now we sit around $160,000!
Due to increased assessments and continuous tax rate increases, the burden to the tax payer constantly rises unless the tax rate is decreased! Please do not be confused by this since it is very simple! Your assessed value of your home times the tax rate gives us your property taxes (not including education, water and other taxes)! If your house assessment continues to rise and the tax rate did not change (or saw a 0% rise – this is what would be advertised) you would still pay more in taxes!
Ex. 2010 – $100,000 (assessed home value) x .018 (Tax Rate) – $1,800
2011 – $120,000 (assessed home value) x .018 (Tax Rate) – $2,160
2012 – $140,000 (assessed home value) x .018 (Tax Rate) – $2,520
In a perfect world council would maintain and look for savings by holding division managers to tight budgets and ensure the community is not over burdened with taxes! Ensure our Seniors and less fortunate do not need to visit the AGAPE or use Ontario Works as frequently and continuously work to reduce the number of people on assistance by ensuring our quality of life and employment is better than any other community!
South Stormont vs. South Glengarry
Congratulations to South Glengarry for showing true brilliance! If there is no problem present then there is no need to address a negative and (for lack of a better term) useless proposal!
Although, South Stormont had a different amendment they still didn’t catch such a clearly stated point in South Glengarry! Due to Robert’s Rules of Order you cannot reaffirm a current position and also negative positions such as “Not Mandate” are clearly out of order!
Here is why: You cannot reaffirm a bylaw or position. What if it loses? Then you have a motion with no solution. A motion must be to make a change! Furthermore, it cannot bind future councils therefore cannot state what people cannot support! For example a sign bylaw can state dimensions and can state what languages it must be written in but cannot say that no future council can ever change the bylaw. Also, if there is no bylaw stating which language must be written on signs then you are FREE to do as you please!
Mr. Galganov wasted supporter’s money by not properly preparing nor presenting a suitable motion to council……………………..but really the only people upset with this:
1) The Hospital Protesting Language Activist and
2) Everyone else because we are sick of hearing this small group complain about Quebec and other counties!!!!! Stick to our current issues and trying to provide valid solutions to improve our community!
Change the things you feel are wrong by going to those communities and stop wasting tax payers dollars by tying up our Council’s who obviously have more important things to do after coming out of a recession and staring a potential new one in the face!
(Comments and opinions of Editorials, Letters to the Editor, and comments from readers are purely their own and don’t necessarily reflect those of the owners of this site, their staff, or sponsors.)