Cornwall will be experiencing a momentary power outage in the early morning hours of November 19th, 2014. As a result the Cornwall Community Police Service is reminding the public that during any power outage drivers are should treat all traffic controlled intersections as if they were four way stops. The Cornwall Community Police Service will not be affected by the outage and is asking the public to contact police headquarters if they suspect any suspicious activity.
(South Glengarry) – On November 17, 2014, SD&G OPP began an investigation into a report of a threat incident at a property on John Street in the Village of Williamstown, South Glengarry Township. Investigation indicated that on November 14, 2014, a male youth uttered threats to harm another individual and to cause damage to property.
The 15-year-old youth (from South Dundas Township) was arrested and is charged with;
– Utter Threats (2 counts)
He was released and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Cornwall on December 18, 2014.
(North Glengarry) – On November 17, 2014 at approximately 6:21pm, SD&G OPP officers responded to a report of a theft at a business on Main Street in the Town of Alexandria, North Glengarry Township. Investigation indicated that an adult male had entered the store and removed items without paying. Further information revealed he was also in contravention of several conditions imposed from previous incidents.
Corey HELLIKER (28) of North Glengarry Township was arrested and is charged with;
– Theft Under $5000 (Shoplifting)
– Fail to Comply with Probation Order (3 counts)
He was released and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Alexandria on January 7, 2015.
(South Dundas) – On November 17, 2014 at approximately 9:53pm, an SD&G OPP officer on patrol had the occasion to stop a vehicle on Sir James Morris Drive in the Village of Morrisburg, South Dundas Township. A check of the adult male driver revealed his driving privileges were disqualified and that he had taken the vehicle without the owner’s permission.
Keith RUNIONS (52) of South Dundas Township was arrested and is charged with;
– Drive While Disqualified
– Drive While Under Suspension (2 counts – Highway Traffic Act)
– Take Motor Vehicle Without Owner’s Consent
He was held in custody pending an appearance (bail) at the Ontario Court of Justice in Cornwall today (November 18, 2014).
WINTER DRIVING REMINDER
(SD&G) – The first significant snowfall of the season of November 17, 2014, created adverse driving conditions on area roads throughout the United Counties. SD&G OPP officers were kept busy responding to a total of 19 (Stormont-7, Dundas-3, Glengarry-9) traffic/weather related calls for service, consisting of collisions and vehicles in ditches/median. Fortunately, only a few resulted in minor injuries.
Motorists are reminded that winter is upon us and to adjust their driving habits accordingly;
– Reduce your speed – driving too fast for road conditions is the number one cause of motor vehicle collisions.
– Leave ample space between your vehicle and the one ahead.
– Begin braking earlier for stops and intersections.
– Is your vehicle ready for winter?
– Do you have a kit with warm clothes and/or blankets should you break down?
– Clean ALL snow/ice accumulations off of your vehicle before departure for maximum view.
– Plan your trip and check out the forecast.
– Do not to call the OPP for road conditions. You can now call 5-1-1 for interactive up to date road conditions anywhere in Ontario or call the MTO toll-free at 1-800-268-4686.
Safety on our roadways is everyone’s responsibility!!