8 Responses to "Cornwall Elementary Schools Fail – Only 4 in Top 50% for Province FRASER REPORT 2019"

1. Hugger1   January 20, 2019 at 11:32 AM

I always take any “report” with a few grains of sand. And Fraser reports always have me question them due to their political leanings. The numbers of any report can be skewed to fit any purpose, something you learn in Grade 8 math. And they won’t rank any school without a Grade 6 class.

2. admin   January 20, 2019 at 12:21 PM

Hugger the Fraser reports their methodology and have been consistently putting out these reports which are a valuable tool and credit to them. I think there are too many people that comment without doing their research or looking at what they do.

Glad the Fraser puts this out and if you read enough of these reports you’ll see some interesting trends.

Clearly we’re seeing that where you live and your economic region impact the results. That begs the question of whether it’s the school system or a community issue for places like Cornwall?

If Dalkeith/Laggan can consistently rank at the top what are they doing right with their kids? Again, this is a great resource and I have a hunch that if we finished near the top some of the complainers (including yourself) wouldn’t be complaining as much just like when Moneysense justifiably puts us in the toilet for its entrepreneurial rankings.

CFN is about to celebrate our 10th Anniversary. That’s a freaking miracle in this town, especially in the environment we work in.

3. jules   January 20, 2019 at 8:21 PM

I have seen Mark A. MacDonald so often that he is part of Cornhole. To be retired isn’t easy and one has to keep busy. Well I am always busy and always in trouble around here. My family has plenty of good laughs about me forgetting one day from the other. Alzheimers must be setting in. LOL LOL. Mark if you are reading my post keep busy. I almost lost my husband last year at this time.

4. Hugger1   January 20, 2019 at 10:52 PM

Perhaps. But I’ve never liked the Fraser Institute from day one. My dislike of them and other think tanks goes way back. The reports do serve a purpose.

If Dalkeith/Laggan can rank high it’s not the school board, but the schools. Research needs to be done to see what causes schools to be constantly near the top.

5. jules   January 21, 2019 at 4:55 PM

What is lacking are not the schools themselves but the teachers. You can live in a luxury neighborhood and have bad teachers and live in a crappy neighborhood and have good teachers. Teachers are being turned out from everywhere and not everyone is capable of being a good teacher. The school itself does not represent on how good the teachers are for the students.

6. jules   January 21, 2019 at 5:09 PM

Thyroid disease is serious and my daughter is on meds for the rest of her life. A lot of things prevents a child from learning and the list can be long. After the diagnosis my daughter went to a private college here in Ottawa and graduated with a 96.6% and she had this illness for a long time and my husband wondered why she was sleeping all the time and became upset with her.

7. Lassie   January 30, 2019 at 6:55 PM

The schools is very low because there’s so many snow days but even when the buses miss school too they are doing excellent because they are tested and examined regularly to standards, and there is programs to fix problems before they get bad, but any way if it was a test, then 2944 out of 3046 is almost 97%, so… Go St Columban’s Go!!

8. Hugger1   January 31, 2019 at 8:57 AM

Low results for some schools are due to “safety days?” WOW, that’s a new one and quite a stretch!!