Cornwall Ontario – It’s only 1.48%, but how many in Cornwall are not seeing their incomes go up by that much?  And of course while the percentage may sound small, these taxes rarely if ever go down.

Again, how many on council actually earn a living other than by the public purse? How many actually have to earn their income in the private sector?

The only time taxes should go up is when overall costs go up.  The reason after all to have reserves is to cover emergency or situational cost increases.  IE not to pay your rent, but when something goes wrong.

When you reach your reserve goal is there any real reason to have about 10% in excess?

As predicted Carilyne Hebert parroted her tax happy mentor Elaine MacDonald.

Clearly voters in Cornwall in the next election have a very clear choice. If they are happy with water, residential, and commercial rates go up keep voting for people like Ms Hebert, MacDonald, Clement, and the others that keep raising taxes or boot them out.

Does it make sense to have an essentially permanent tax rate hike because of  single industrial loss of $87,000?  Why should the residents of Cornwall have to pay for the failures of Economic Development and other failures at City Hall?

Again, this points to an over all failure at City Hall by Management and the direction they are given by a rudderless council.

As they say, you get the government you deserve, and this council, while an attempt at change, clearly is lacking in ability and leadership.   And if you really want change you need to elect people that can stand up to management and effect changes that will lead to a more stable tax base.

With property taxes slated to be going up another 4% depending on how things shake out it will be a colder 2017 for many Cornwall residents.

What do you think dear CFN viewers?  You can post your comments below.

34 Responses to "Taxation Without Representation in Cornwall as Water Taxes Going Up – by Jamie Gilcig DEC 20, 2016"

1. Pastor Tom Newton   December 21, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Taxation Without Representation: It has been working for all of Ontario under the regime of Premier Wynne, so why not Cornwall? Pro 29:2  “When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn”.

2. Furtz   December 21, 2016 at 10:04 PM

A good feed of pasta every other day will make an honest person out of any politician. It’s a proven fact.

3. Furtz   December 21, 2016 at 10:10 PM

Have Jules and Hugger been taken off to the funny farm?

4. admin   December 22, 2016 at 3:06 AM

Furtz both stormed off in a huff. Jules was upset that I told her she couldn’t call Cornwall, Cornhole anymore and call our PM Justine. I think Hugger was having one of his senior moments.

I honestly think people can communicate a point without being personally icky.

5. admin   December 22, 2016 at 6:12 AM

Poor Jules must be busting to comment on some of our stories this week 🙂

6. Furtz   December 22, 2016 at 9:00 AM

It was getting pretty tiresome.

7. admin   December 22, 2016 at 11:58 AM

I agree Furtz. I’m not sure what to do regarding comments on CFN. The easiest thing would be to shut them down. This area doesn’t seem to be big on comments unless they are Jules like. You see them on the fb pages of other media.

8. Furtz   December 22, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Too bad. A few years ago there were lots of people posting interesting comments. That was the attraction for me. What ever happened to the Anglo freedom-fighters?

9. admin   December 22, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Thanks to Tammy Hart most of that group splintered.

10. Pastor Tom Newton   December 26, 2016 at 8:42 AM

“What ever happened to the Anglo freedom-fighters?”- they either all converted to Spaghetti “O’s”, or they all overdosed on pasta!

11. David Oldham   December 26, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Is this not a fundamental liberal principle? No surprise factor here.

12. jules   December 27, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Well I thought that I would fall in for a minute and say Cornwall is (MODERATED) and Justin is (MODERATED) and believe me what I say about (MODERATED) in other sites would open your eyes mighty wide. My God this site is mighty dull without me. Again (MODERATED) is (MODERATED) and mighty dull without yours truly popping in. Yes Hugger has many senior moments but I don’t put him down – just good laughs.

13. admin   December 27, 2016 at 5:18 PM

Merry Christmas to you and the family Jules, and I agree, CFN isn’t the same without you. 🙂 However you still can’t post using certain terms unless you’re ready to post with your real name.

14. jules   December 27, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Jamie did you hear that the internet may be shut down for 24 or was it 48 hours. I don’t know when it is supposed to happen but laws are changing in the US – a tighter noose around people’s neck including how the news is projected and it will affect many sites. Gee they must have seen what I write – OMG it would make Furtz roar with laughter and at the same time choke on his spaghetti dinner.

15. jules   December 27, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Speaking about taxation Ottawa is in the red and mighty huge and taxes will have to take a huge hit for all the things going on here. My rent will go up as usual like every year. I read that under Winnie the Poo things are getting more and more expensive. Do you know that many people don’t know whether to pay hydro or food? Many people are paying $500 + a month for hydro.

16. jules   December 27, 2016 at 10:30 PM

Furtz I am way past the funny farm a long time ago and I found the keys to get out. LOL LOL. ROLF! I am beyond “One Who Flew Over the Coo Coos Nest”. I have been so busy and my arthritis is killing me. My quilting is going awful slow these days. It is damp in the apartment and I put a tiny heater on for heat.

17. jules   December 27, 2016 at 10:47 PM

I wonder if Hugger stormed out because he didn’t have me to argue with anymore. LOL LOL. ROLF! I often thought about Hugger and Furtz and his dose of spaghetti. You wouldn’t begin to believe the laughter I had thinking about everyone. My son just came in and is laughing about me and my old age needing a tiny heater for heat. He said it is mild out and when it is mild the heating system goes

18. jules   December 27, 2016 at 10:53 PM

I have a good remedy, I am going to take myself over to my bottle of Irish Cream and see if that will help to warm up. In my elderly stage I need all the help I can get.

19. jules   December 28, 2016 at 2:07 PM

What am I saying about my rent “will go up” when I received the paper in my mailbox that my rent has increased for March. I am slipping for sure. Old age has struck as well as bouts of insanity – makes things kind of interesting when the family is roaring with laughter at me.

20. Furtz   December 28, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Oh well..

21. admin   December 28, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Furtz that was your 2,500th comment here on CFN 🙂

22. Furtz   December 28, 2016 at 5:34 PM

And every one of my 2500 comments was full of truth and wisdom. No?

23. admin   December 28, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Probably as much truth and wisdom as Jules’ amigo 😉

24. jules   December 29, 2016 at 1:18 AM

Jamie I hope that you had a good Christmas. I am in bad shape not knowing what day it is today and I had to consult the calender a number of times. My sight has deteriorated a bit and I need glasses but I don’t want to look funny so I don’t want to wear them. This old gal is way past her bed time – too busy trying to put old clothes together into quilts.

25. admin   December 29, 2016 at 4:32 AM

It’s the Bailey’s Jules 🙂

26. jules   December 29, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Yes that old Bailey sure can kick in. Soon I will be trudging through the snow with my daughter to go to Tim Horton’s. My daughter is asking me now if I have the energy to make it there – it is quite a piece from here and there is a closer one but not as good.

27. jules   December 29, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Jamie we just made it back from that long walk and ice under the snow on sidewalks and even in the parking lot of Tim’s and Wendy’s and the gas station. If you go out be careful. Ottawa doesn’t shovel as much as what they used to because they are in the red. That light rail is costing a bundle.

28. jules   December 29, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Water is going to be the new oil and expect prices to rise.

29. jules   December 30, 2016 at 12:46 AM

Jamie when there are no comments the papers are mighty dull. Your papers have comments and I enjoy reading and commenting and of course I am special. I give the paper a little push different to others. Honestly Jamie I tell you the truth you do have a good paper but please let me post about {MODERATED}

Editor’s note. Jules you can post about both of those, simply call them by their names, Cornwall, or Justin. You can criticize something without making it petty and personal.

30. jules   December 30, 2016 at 12:49 AM

One more post here since I am heading to bed. {MODERATED} is going down in the polls. Between what I post on other sites including what others post he is going downhill. Many want to impeach {MODERATED}. Wait until the carbon taxes kick in and you will all give {MODERATED} a kick in the keester – what I read today will take down many households and businesses, etc. OMG! God Help Us All.

31. jules   December 30, 2016 at 4:55 PM

This morning my daughter and I went over to do a little shopping where she works and her supervisor was at the cash next to us and asked her to come in and work and she did just that after she helped me home with the groceries. I told her “you have a big loan to pay so go in and work it is healthy”. The cost of living in unbelievably expensive.

32. jules   December 30, 2016 at 11:59 PM

Gee I never thought that I would say this but I miss Hugger. Where in the hell is our Hugger? LOL LOL. I let myself out of the funny farm a long time ago and never looked back. I just keep on being wacky since I love it. Being normal is no fun at all. LOL LOL. ROLF! When one thinks that they are quite normal that is when they have a big problem. Being wacky is fun. LOL LOL.

33. jules   December 31, 2016 at 12:54 PM

HAPPY NEW YEAR Jamie and everyone even though I am saying it early when I hit my Irish Cream I will be in another world of wackiness so I thought that I would wish Jamie and everyone here a Happy New Year.

34. jules   December 31, 2016 at 12:57 PM

What a discunctional bunch of idiots in that photo. When I saw that Caroline Hebert I was almost sick – I can’t stand her at all. There is the clown that was friends with BOB and thrown under the bus. The entire mayor and council doesn’t know one end from the other. What is to pay for in tiny Cornhole? All these clowns are there only to collect a pay cheque.